Wayne Coe

Shannon. Carter

All,

(I posted this under Wayne's forum, but thought I would do the same here...)

I just wanted to take a moment to publicly thank Wayne Coe for assisting me with the assembly of my NWG. I started off with a loaner motor and a 3-step pulley setup, but let the smoke out of the motor while I was attempting to adjust the belt tracking. After a bit of research, I was directed to contact Wayne, so I looked him up on the internet and gave him a call. Wayne answered on the second ring and we ended up talking for quite some time. Long story short, I was surprised to find out that Wayne lives just an hour south of me, not far at all. I ended up ordering a 2hp 3ph motor and a VFD from him and Wayne was nice enough to invite me down to his shop when the equipment came in.

I was able to spend the day with Wayne and Moe this past Tuesday. Wayne asked that I bring the NWG with me so it could be converted to direct drive. We spent the first half of the day modifying the NWG and what a difference that made! I hadn't had much experience with the old setup, but I could already tell that I was glad I made the investment to convert it to a VFD. Huge improvement! I'll post some pics of the old vs. the new setup.

Wayne took some time to educate me during the second half of the day. I was introduced to forging and was quite impressed with his blacksmithing skills. I'm guessing most of the folks on this forum have seen his creations, but if you haven't I can tell you they are impressive! Wayne also took some time to show me the basics of stock removal at the grinder. I'm new to all of this, so I really appreciated him letting me ask questions. Very informative!

Wayne, it was a pleasure meeting you and thanks again for the knowledge transfer and helping me get started. I really appreciate it!
--Shannon

Pic of the grinder before:
2012-04-29_16-08-24_377.jpg

Grinder after:
2012-05-08_19-13-49_983.jpg

Without attempting to swell his head any bigger than it already is (I'd hate for his hat to no longer fit), Wayne is a great guy and very talented guy. Just watch out for his Mason Jar. One sip of his special spring water and you'll be on your knees gasping for air.

Wayne knows his stuff and his grinder packages are real cool.
Hey Murph, a quart of that "springwater" of Waynes will take the rust off of 3 Corvair's or 1 small battleship.

Hey Murph, a quart of that "springwater" of Waynes will take the rust off of 3 Corvair's or 1 small battleship.

I have NO doubt! I've never fallen for Wayne's coercions, but I did get down wind of his Mason Jar at Batson's a couple of years ago. My eyes watered, my nose began to snot up, my lungs began to convulse, and the world began to spin around the ground I stood on. I really think we could replace the CS capsules we use for NBC training in the gas chamber with just a microscopic drop of that stuff, though I'm afraid if we heated it up to a gaseous state the way we do the CS capsules it would eat through Pro Masks and our protective gear. It's that strong!

Does not surprise me at all.

Under that big hat is a big? well I don't know what you call it but its real decent.

:35: Fred

When Shannon showed up at the shop the first thing that he brought in was a 6 pack of Ky Brand Beer. I will have to say that the Ky Beer is way better than the KY Jelly I got served at the hospital the last time I was there. It didn't taste good on toast or waffles.

I got to meet Wayne personally 2 years ago at Batson's. He is a gentleman, a scholar, and down right good ole boy. His hospitality is second to none. He is a good blacksmith and bladesmith as well. Any time spent with Wayne is time well spent.

Thanks guys (I'm blushin').

BTW, while Shannon was here I forged out the blade on a RR Spike knife and then did the initial grind to remove the scale. The profile of the blade and the bevels were forged. The profile was refined a little but on the bevels less than 1/32" total was ground away. So the grinding was not stock removal.

Back