belt sander noise issues

Cameron Wilcox

I have a 2x42 craftsman belt sander and lately I have noticed it is getting very loud. (I wear earplugs when using it or is causes a headache). I think it may be the wheels, because without a belt it is not loud. Is there a way to clean the bearings or do the wheels need to be replaced?
If I need to replace them how do I remove the Wheels?
Thank you for any help.
-Cameron

Not sure about how to take the wheels off?
The one thing I do know it that if you run it without a Load or belt it may sound fine? That still doesn't
mean the gearing are good.

The load on the bearing will make them sing.
If it's a Craftsman. You can return it for another Machine. Much better than trying to screw around and fix it! Just get a new one from them.

I had a Friend Knife/Leather crafter that returned one of those twice!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I had a similar thing happen to my Craftman belt sander. It sounded like it was going to come apart. I took it apart and found that a set screw had come loose on the drive shaft of the motor. Put some lock tight on the threads . It's still working but I use it very little since I got my 2 X 72 Grinder (Grizzly):5:

laurence,
how long did your friend have the grinder before it started having problems? I called and talked to them and they said they only cover power tools for a year, after that it is on the buyer. I bought mine from a friend, and he said it sat around for sometime around 10 years in his garage.
I was just wondering it there is an easy fix because I don't have the money to replace it.
-Cameron

I guess they have changed their policy.
You use to be able to take back any broken Craftsman tool for a replacement.
This was about 10 plus years ago. It was worth a try.

without having your grinder in front of me, I really can't help much? With it unplugged. See if you can fine anything loose when you spin it by hand?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I'll try that, might be it.
Thank you for the help. if all else fails, I know of someone in town who could fix it, Just was hoping it would be an easy fix
-Cameron

Back