Does Black Palm need to be stabilized?

TASelf

I normally only use Micarta for handles but was just gifted a bunch of materials that included some pretty cool looking Black Palm. It seems pretty tough; but I don't want to use it if it's not reliable unless stabilized. I did a quick search; so if it's been answered and I missed it I apologize.

Thanks, Tom

Yes, Tom, it does need to be stabilized. Black palm is very hard to work without stabilizing and it tends to break, crack, warp, and sand unevenly if you choose to forego it. In black palm, the brown fibers are less dense than black and will sand deeper than the surrounding black when shaping no matter how much pressure you use. (Its much like sanding pins on soft handle material) When stabilized, it works easily and takes on a beautiful polish. No matter what you do to it, make sure you use new/ little worn belts and very sharp tools.

Black Palm wood will benifit from stabilization. But it has been sought after and used for many more years than than Stabilizing has been around.

Yes it does tend sand uneven even more if not Stabilized and that makes a very hard to sand.
Backing with sandpaper with leather helps with this wood Stabilized or Not with this wood and many others.

I love the stuff and so do My customers.
Go ahead and get it stabilized, I do. Then you have a very rich looking & Durable Handle that really turns some heads!

WOW what's that? Is the most common type statement from people that see it finished on a Handle.

The Irony is that this stuff has a lot of natural sand in it from the ocean & beach tropical environment it grows in.
Use sharp belts at slower speeds and leather backing for all but the last passes with Sandpaper. It's right up there with Ironwood as a Bandsaw blade burner & belt clogger/killer.

Here are some pic's of a Black Palm Handle on a knife a did a couple of years back.

If you wish to trade or sell a block or two please let me know? Especially if it's Quarter-Cut!
That's some of my very favorite Handle Material. I send mine to WSSI or K & G for Stabilization.

Cheer's and enjoy!

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com/1.jpg

Thanks Laurence! Excellent info; I think I may try sending it off to be stabilized and give it a try.

taself i just did two in black palm wood and didnt now any of this it seemd the same to me as anything else but stabalizing
would be a benny to almost all woods. Dont now that it matters i got my wood from wood crafters in a 2x2 block 12 invh long.
here is a pic of a knife i just did with it not stab. i took mine to 400 grit then used wood sealer with 3 coats.

Attachments

• 100_3361.jpg
    100_3361.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 15
I have done it both ways and stabilizing is the way to go. If you don't stabilize it, I would put 3-5 coats of CA on it. That it's how I did my first one. It looked great when it was done, but not fun to work with unstabilized.

Back