Another Dag Blade

Church & Son

I get these in my head and they rattle around trying to get out..This Dag is 12" overall with
6 1/2" sharp x 2 1/4" deep of 1/8" #1065 steel. All hacksawed and hot filed, very little hammer work..
Quenched in salt water and antiqued a little.

The handle is a set of Coyote jawbones wrapped with rawhide. They are attached to the tang
with pine pitch glue(historical) and epoxy(to ease my mind) and pins from iron nails.

The sheath I done twice, hated the first one..I wanted a pouch style belt cutout sheath but had a time figuring out the inside welt because of both sides sharp. It is from boot leather dyed with vinegaroon with a egg tanned deerhide cuff and a little decoration, beads, tacks and cones.

ctdag2.jpg
ctdag3.jpg
ctdag1.jpg
ctdag4.jpg

And I don't say this enough, LARGE thanks to Mr. Chuck Burrows for inspiration and sharing his vast knowledge...Also Tai Goo, John Cohea and several more that share their priceless talents. I seem to be evolving to the past, hopefully in the right direction.....Randy.

Very interesting work. You need to get in touch with the experimental archaeology crowd. You would be a good fit.

Have you thought about doing any smoke tanning after the brain tanning process? Turns the leather very dark and makes it pretty much water proof for a time.

Thanks for all the great words Gents..

Gaelic, I smoke everything(Did that sound right?)..I don't do brain tann,I use egg yokes..
same emulsification but easier to get, brains don't freeze well and I never know in advance when I'll get the time to do a hide..

Randy,
Between rattling around in your head and smoking everything you do some damn nice work. One of these days we will have to have a rattling smoke session.:s11041: Wade

That is one gnarley, chompy looking, wingdanged knife Randy!!!(sorry, I ran out of adjectives) Pounder still not workin'? Hope it gets better soon. :51:

Thanks Gents for all the kind words...this one will probably be the last for a while..I get to read, dream and
live in LA-LA land for a month or so...maybe do some beading and try not to hurt myself with the needle...

Wade...anytime..how about all winter at your place...

Terry, I wish I had a shop...at least a roof...

Kevin...when you have an extra lifetime to read, look up the NDN Bear warrior societies of the early 1800's

Troy, they are fixing my pounder on Thursday...said I'll be good as exspected in a few weeks...but still old & ugly

Last edited:
Thanks Mikey,
I got a couple of inquiries about the aging on the jawbones…here is what they start out looking like
after cleaning and before I started playing with them.

ctdag5.jpg

Thanks to Sir Wade from the Soggy Bottom Forge for sharing his techniques...
Plus I found this anti-aging creme on late nite infomercial, takes 10 years off your face with one application....
So I un-applied it 16 times on the bone..........

Last edited:
Back