cork belt or leather belt?

Cameron Wilcox

I have been looking for a way to sharpen my work knives a bit faster and would like a polishing belt to put some polishing compound to put a final edge on them, but I don't know weather to buy a leather or cork belt for this purpose. how long do cork and leather belts last, and would a cork belt even be good for this application?
I'm just using an older craftsman 2x42
any help would be appreciated
God bless
-Cameron

A cork belt requires a LOT of prep work wearing it down. A leather belt is ready for compound and lasts darn near forever. This opinion ONLY applies to sharpening. Polishing flats is another matter entirely.

Even better than Leather for final passes on the grinder while sharpening is those 2000 Grit Padded Deerfor belts. www.tru-grit.com

After that I go to the buffer loaded with green Chrome to take off the burr. The edges cut like Demons & have a brite polish.
I know they are available in 2" X 72" Not sure about 2" X 48" ?

Give them a call.

Laurence

www.westsidesharpening.com/

Thanks Laurence, I'll give tru-grit a call.
hopefully they have some, that'd really cut time off of sharpening all the time.
-Cameron

One thing to remember is to remove your leather belts after each use. They will stretch over time and you will eventually run out of adjustment on your grinder. I love them, but ruined one by stretching it out!

God Bless
Mike

Thanks Laurence, I'll give tru-grit a call.
hopefully they have some, that'd really cut time off of sharpening all the time.
-Cameron

Here's the progression to get to 2000Grit.
120G if needed? Most of the time, 220G 600G 1200G & then the 2000 Grit.

My Sharpening is done with a slack belt 2 X 72. Then buff with Green Chrome.

Deerfos Makes a 1200G also. I like it too. There are lower Padded belts from them But I haven't tried them yet?

Good luck, I know you will love the Edges that this will produce. This is what I do for the fine Restaurant
Chef's here is West L.A. Santa Monica.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Back