do you like file work on a knife?

Brad Lilly

Moderator and Awards Boss
I was thinking about file work on knives the other day. File work seams to be going out of fashion lately, I don't see it as often. Any thoughts or opinions?

File work done well never goes out of fashion.

For me personally, I don't do much file work as I mostly make Culinary knives and file work can harbor food etc, So even thou it looks great I think the purpose of the knife and keeping things sanitary are most important.

On the right design of knife ether Field or collector knife it looks great!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Although I've seen outstanding examples of file work, I've never seen the practicallity of it.
I suppose it's one of those things we all have to try at some point just to test ourselves. I tried it on a couple in the 80's and found that to me it detracted from the knife if it was anywhere on the blade and totally useless along the tang unless it was filled with epoxy. I was convinced after being asked to clean dried blood out of the spaces between tang and scales. I've always leaned towards traditional knife designs and see them as a tool, keep it simple . There isn't one of us that doesn't want our knives used...excessive file work starts pushing it into wall hanger or safe queen status in my mind, just my opinion. That's not to take away from those who do it and do it well...I respect the workmanship.
Rudy

I'm with Rudy on this one for most of the same reasons. I appreciate it when it's well done, and even do it sometimes myself, but I like to keep it to a minimum. I sometimes use it on the tang and fill with epoxy if requested, and sometimes use it in a very limited way as a bit of fancy jimping. Mostly I like my lines clean, and I feel that filework breaks up the flow too much. I do LOVE subtle filework on the liners of a traditional slipjoint or lockback, but only if they're single bladed and the filework isn't overwhelming.

To me filework on a knife is like makeup on a woman. A little may sometimes improve the look, but a really pretty one probably doesn't need it.

To me filework on a knife is like makeup on a woman. A little may sometimes improve the look, but a really pretty one probably doesn't need it.

I'm stealing that analogy! And I'm with you, thought I'm relatively new to knife making, file work doesn't do much for me but give me headaches trying to get everything lined up right. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I dont really like filework unless its done nearly perfect like some of the high end slip joints on the back springs and liners. I see all kinds of random patterns that look like it needs to be ground off and left clean. I especially dont think the epoxy filled ones are a good idea. Epoxy should be invisible and not used as a filler, even if the epoxy has a colorant added I think it could fall out someday.

I find it interesting some think it is good and some bad. I never thought it was overly practical, more to “dress up” a knife. I have tried it a few times and can not make up my mind if it is a worth while skill to try and develop. Thanks for the input guys

I rather enjoy seeing file work on a folder... not so much on a fixed blade. It gets a lot of attention and comments from collectors and non-collectors alike. I've noticed if you set 10 knives out on a table, the first knife a person will pick up to inspect is the one with file work. I sort of like the 'BLING' factor.

DSCN4281.jpg

DSCN4270.jpg

I dont really like filework unless its done nearly perfect like some of the high end slip joints on the back springs and liners. I see all kinds of random patterns that look like it needs to be ground off and left clean. I especially dont think the epoxy filled ones are a good idea. Epoxy should be invisible and not used as a filler, even if the epoxy has a colorant added I think it could fall out someday.

Bruce, Im with you on not using epoxy to fill the filework. But for another reason. I know epoxy shrinks when it cures. and as it does, it will get som separation from one side or another allowing moisture and stuff into a very small crack and there's no way to clean or dry it. Heck you wouldn't even know it was there. Than long term. rust starts and then you have a problem greater then if you should of had filework, or not!! :)

I love filework on some knives. an when done right. I think it adds alot to a custom knife .. When done cleanly and care and skill is incorporated to produce a beatufil pattern that complements the look and flow of the knife... I just love it! :)

I'm a hack at filework; the one I just did for my son was sort of beautified jimping. But that said, I can see beautified jimping being useful for some knife applications. If you don't have a thumb ramp, or on the inside of a thumb ramp or harpoon design.
But I concur, the best looking is on a folder's spine - really makes the spine view pop ... IMO.

I agree with randy , I love good file work. The bad thing is their is a huge learning curve to get to that status it takes years to get to the caliber of dwayne duchane . I watch his video over and over and over because practise makes perfect. This is an art the same as scrimshaw and handle carving , in my opinion anything done poorly on a knife is just that. But when you add well done file work along with a scrimshawed or carved ivory handle makes the knife just that much more attractive. Most of the people I know dont even realize high end folders can achieve thousands of dollars. Everyone has 10 crap kicker plain knives but who carries a knife with bling. I DO I call it my braggin stick lol kellyw

So let me ask this. Should I file work anything on this handle? I was thinking about file working the steel spacer between the brass guard and spacer.
IMG_0393.jpg

I think some basic file work would look good on that spacer. As I can't see the blade, I'm not sure though. To me file work has to add to the theme and overall presentation of a knife i.e. never on a tactical, but if knife is of modern design such as a drop point hunter with higher end scales (no micarta with file work) then some moderate tasteful filework adds a personal touch to an already very custom looking knife, IMHO.

I've seen some really nice examples of filework on some folders back spacers and liners. I have only done file work on one knife but until I can do a great job I won't do it again. I have seen alot of halfway good jobs that ruin an otherwise good knife. Dan

First off, file work IS practical if used properly. On my short drop edged knives I try and place some simple file work where the thumb naturally lands on the spine of the knife just forward of the end of the handle material. Now, I can use simple file cuts evenly placed for a better grip, but it always look much better to add a decorative touch. Many swords, sabers and other death dealing tools made over the centuries were mildly to wildly decorated. I think this is just a matter of fashion for the times. Who knows? By 2020 decorative practical hunting knives may be seen with file work and engraving. Of course, some of this is up to the user as well. I have an inexpensive side by side twenty gauge that shoots just as well as a Ruger Red Label, yet a few want the decoration that in many cases screams, "Mine is a grade better than yours!" Does file work and engraving not increase the value of almost anything it is applied to?

I make gents folders and I put some nice file work inside and outside the back strap heat color it sometimes and also file work the liners jewel and anodize them. File work doesn't really serve any purpose other than making a knife more unique and a little more flashy but I personally like putting file work on a gents folder it shows your customer that you took time and dedication making the knife and the knife is more likely of quality instead of something thrown together out of a pile blanks. Just my opinion

Some very well done file work is attractive. Some lesser quality file work I have seen is down right horrible and has no place on the knife it was done on. Actual file work and a small thumb ramp done with a checkering file I consider two different things.

Last edited:
Robertcarter, I agree with you on this. Unique is better. And, the more you do file work the better it will look. I think all of us cringe at the knives we made in the beginning! I just hope my feeble efforts improve with time!

I'd like to post some pics but I'm skimming wifi off the prod platform I work and my flicker site is blocked. ( those b*stards) but I'll be home Monday I'll post some pics then. I think file work that is out of the ordinary and just completely unique really makes a gents folder really pop out to customers and especially catching the eyes of people walking by your table at the shows. Monday I'll get some pics up and maybe post pics of some rescent folder I made.

Back