Design Thoughts

jwalk84

Hey guys, I just wanted to post a photo of a couple I am working on. I posted this on another forum, but didn't get much response. Please let me know what you guys think, good and bad. If you like something, let me know, but if you don't like something or something does not look right or make sense, really let me know. I am here to learn and get better, so thanks again!

Also, if anyone in AZ wants to teach a newbie, let me know!

DSCN0735.jpg

I also figured I would post a photo of one I just finished up a few weeks ago.

DSCN0677.jpg
DSCN0682.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
I like the middle blade, but having the four finger grooves makes it a little touchy. some people it will fit and be very comfortable but on others their hand might not line up with the grooves and it will feel awkward to use. and on the blade on the left, the back of the handle seems a little too straight, I'm new at this also but from what I understand straight lines on a handle usually are not preferred. And for the thumb ramp, it might be more comfortable to use if it was more rounded to fit a thumb. Take my advice for what its worth (not much) and go with what you like and what feels good for your and your customer hand if you plan on selling it.
-Cameron

I'd say the finished one is beautiful - well done!

As per the 3 designs, my eye went to the wharny on the right. The "choil" area where the index finger would rest under the guard is very tight - like a notch. My suggestion on that one would be to round out that area to a similar radius as the choil on your finished knife. I think you can do it with the amount of material you have on the guard, and on the belly of the handle. I'd want to slim the belly, and round out the pinky notch as well so it doesn't feel pinched. Looks like you have a cut on the spine also, where maybe jimping or a thumb ramp would go? What're your thoughts there? I think wharnys are cool, and very useful; they really need good thumb rest though to take advantage of the point.

I think the one in the middle is fairly traditional - I'd suggest you scoop out the finger grooves so they don't pinch, but
other than that, I think that's a good'un.

The one on the left - I think if you scooped out the thumb ramp to a nice curve back to the spine, it'll be more comfortable as Cameron noted. I'm digging the wide spear point profile. How're you going to grind that one?

What handle materials are you thinking? Can't wait to see the pics!

Cameron and Rob, thank you guys for your comments and suggestions! This is the stuff I need to hear, so thanks again.

To start, all the knives are either for me or just for friends.

I like the idea of rounding out the thumb ramp on the first one, so I will try to do that.

As for grinding it, all 3 are ground to a about a dime's thickness currently, so I just planned on cleaning up the bevels with some Gator belts. I am not sure what I will do for the finish yet. I have vinegar etched all of them, but I may take the middle one back to more of a hand sanded finish, same with the one on the right.

As for handle materials, I am not sure yet. The one on the right I was originally going to cord wrap with colored G10 underneath, hence no holes. The cut on the spine of this one was also just going to be to anchor the cord wrap, but I might get rid it or change it into a thumb ramp depending on what I do for the handles.

The other two I was thinking of just either Micarta or G10, but not sure on colors yet.

Thanks again for the comments guys. I really appreciate them.

Justin

The finished knife, I realy like, well done. The center knife and the Wharny, I like, I do think that the changes that Rob points out would improve both. The first one in that pic, it just doesn't appeal to me, sorry, there is no, smooth flow to the lines, but that is just a personal thing on my part. Overall, looking good.
Dale

Guys, thank you all for the comments and advice.

Here is what I have done so far. Let me know what you think about the changes. I am liking the changes to both so far, so thanks again!

DSCN0746.jpg

Well, here is one of them in its finished state. Let me know what you guys think. Hopefully I will be able to finish the other one sometime this coming week.

Thanks again.

IMG_0058.jpg
IMG_0051.jpg

Looks great, I think the little change from the original pic, made a big difference.
Dale

Well, here is one of them in its finished state. Let me know what you guys think. Hopefully I will be able to finish the other one sometime this coming week.

Thanks again.

View attachment 31867
View attachment 31868

OK remember you asked. I like the design but, I got to ask what is the purpose of the little "teat" sticking down at the ricasso? In my opinion loose it.......let that area be flat. Other than that I like it. Remember when making handles design needs to fit as many hands as possible. Where most get lost is where they try to put in all the fingers or such,no two hands are exactly the same and when you get too specific in the fit, you loose the ability to fit more than one hand, in my opinion!

C Craft,

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate them. I am new to knifemaking and just trying to learn where I can. My thought on the the "teat" was to just give a little extra meat for my hand in a reverse grip. As for handles, that is one thing I am definitely guilty of, I seem to want everything to fit my mitt perfectly. Sometimes it is hard for me to remember that it has to fit lots of variety and not just my hand. Good thing the few knives I have made have all been for friends and family so far.

Thanks again.

Well it has been a while, but here is an updated photo of one I just finished. It is the middle blade from my original post. The other one is also done, but I can't locate the completed photos. Let me know what you guys think.

IMG_0205.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 6
C Craft,

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate them. I am new to knifemaking and just trying to learn where I can. My thought on the the "teat" was to just give a little extra meat for my hand in a reverse grip. As for handles, that is one thing I am definitely guilty of, I seem to want everything to fit my mitt perfectly. Sometimes it is hard for me to remember that it has to fit lots of variety and not just my hand. Good thing the few knives I have made have all been for friends and family so far.

Thanks again.

J.walk84.
There is nothing wrong with making each knife to each customer's hand.
I do that with most, but not all of my Culinary knives.

Just realize that you will need to make each knife to each one of your customers hands.

I have them put there dominant hand flat on a piece of paper with their digits together and trace around it for a reference to shape the tang and handle scales.
Then I have them come in for a final fitting when shaping and final finishing of the handle scales.

The rest I make for stock inventory and make with a bit more of a general feel so they will fit more buyers hands.

Some buyers will like that little "teat" on the Ricassio. For reverse grip as mentioned. Others will not, So make some with and some without if you like? Or save that as a option for the full custom orders. I had a similar feature when I made mostly Hunters/Tacticals. and those have a place on a necker type knife too!

You are on your path.
Keep refining your designs and the functions.
Dare to be different and go for your hearts desire!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

P.S. I really like the carving on the scales of the finished black handle.
Can't tell how it would fit? But really like the look!!
Go for it!!

Last edited:
Back