Guess who won the Best Railroad Spike Knife at the Batson Knife Syposium at Tannehill

captjim

Yeah, I think you will recognize Wayne Coe and his "Steak Knife".

Great time this past weekend with a lot of knowledge freely available from all the demonstrators and vendors.

best spike knife.jpg

Ok, let's see if I can add some pictures:

Steak Knife 2.jpgGlass Inlay.jpgMoe's Knife.jpg

The first picture is the Steak Knife that won the competition. The Batson Blade Symposium Belt Buckle is the award.
The second picture is a second entry. It's handle has glass marbles inlaid into slit and drifted holes. Both have original Rail Road Spikes shown for size comparison.
The third picture is Moe's Knife finished with Curly Maple handle slabs and Tracy's Red G-10 spacers. You can tell that Moe was the model for the knife because he only has one eye. Moe's Knife is made from 6150 (that is not a typo. It is 6150, not 5160.)

I missed Tannehill this year big time. Congrats Wayne! Was that the 6150 that was for sale there in kind of a teardrop shape? I've got some but haven't forged with it yet. I'll be there next year for sure.

Missed you this year Patrick. The 6150 came from Lynn allright but I think that this was flat about 1 X 3/8.

Thank you for the congrats.

Back