"Kill Bill" wrapped primal/tactical kwaiken and Bowie

Stormcrow

I finished these up this week. Very different blade styles, but basic construction is the same. The steel is forged 5160, triple normalized, triple hardened in canola oil, and triple tempered. The handle wraps are paracord with lemon yellow for the underlays, black stripped of its core for the overlays, and two-strand Turk's head knots of unstripped black cord, all sealed with Minwax Wood Hardener. Both are shaving sharp, of course.

First up is a little quasi-kwaiken that I gave to an artist who had given me a couple of flower paintings as birthday gifts for my girlfriend and mom. She had been eyeing a couple of other quasi-Japanese blades with the Kill Bill wrap (that have yet to be seen on the Interwebz), so I made this for her. The sheath is a simple foldover Kydex afair. Blade length is 4 1/2" and overall length is 9 1/4".

kwaiken.jpg

kwaiken2.jpg

She was quite surprised and happy to get the knife, as my mom and girlfriend were to recieve the paintings. :)

Next is a primal Bowie with a blade length of 7", overall length of 12 7/8", width of 1 3/4", and spine thickenss of 7/32" at the base with a distal taper to the point. This started out as 3/4" round bar, so you can see how much it stretched out. In spite of the large size, it's quite light in the hand. This one was commissioned by a cousin of mine as a birthday gift for his teenaged son. Kydex sheath with two MOLLE locks. It'll go in the mail tomorrow.

glan04.jpg

glan05.jpg

Very nice package! Forgive my ignorance but why do you call the handle wrap "Kill Bill?" Is it the style or way it's done?....I don't get out alot:eek:

The colors. :) Uma Thurman wore a tracksuit in the bright yellow and black during the movie's major fight scene. It's an homage to Bruce Lee wearing a similar tracksuit in "Game of Death".

Just the outfit one would wear to a sword fight! OK, I'm back in the loop. Thanks for elucidating for me:biggrin:

Oh damn, there you go again! Great work and will now have to learn another skillset ......braiding paracord for my survival knives. Just when I thought things were going smoothly.....I get sucked in again!

Back