Two Knives for Critique

Hello everybody, I am a freshman in college and I've caught the knife making bug. I'm just starting out and trying to learn everything I can. I am amazed, and inspired, by all the awesome knives you all have been posting, and I though I would show you some of the first knives I've been working on for critique and advice. Feel free to tell me what I could improve on, as well as any general advice for getting started in knife making.
Thanks, Trent Robinson

The blades are made of a big circular saw blade given to me by a friends father. Both are full tang.
The handle on the double edged knife is made of aluminum, deer antler, walnut, and soapstone, I think, (which i found out is far too soft to be practical in a handle, although it looked cool) with steel and brass rods for pins
The handle on the second knife is my first attempt at making micarta.(out of some old green pants) with steel rods for pins.

DSCF4724.jpgDSCF4726.jpgDSCF4727.jpgDSCF4730.jpgDSCF4733.jpg

Those are a great start.
I really like the way the lines flow in the field knife. Sexy curves are what sell knives! The way you left the front 40% of the blade taller looks great.
Also the handle looks comfy for the hand.

Keep it up!
You are doing excellent!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Nice looking grinds and handle work and well polished. Only thing you may work on is guard fit - might just be picture but looks like gaps there- it's the mark of experienced makers to have this fit up perfect. Usually the guard is fit tight so no gap is seen and is best soldered or epoxied on to seal. You are doing great work though and should be proud of those for sure.

Looking good! I like how you dove in early on a pretty complex knife, using different handle materials and fitting a guard. I've not attempted it yet myself, so much respect for that. I don't think I'd actually want to use the double edged knife - looks tough on the hands. But that field knife has a great blade profile, and the mycarta came out very well!

Back