Finish for engraving??

Taz575

Had a friend of mine want me to put some 416 SS handles on some Damascus blanks for him to engrave. Turned out to be a nightmare project!! But I am almost there. I tried a 220 grit hand rub, but it looked cloudy. Tried a 320 grit belt finish, followed up by a ScotchBrite Fine or Ex Fine belt finish, not what I was looking for. Then I hand sanded to 220 grit, then buffed with Jackson 925, Fast and Medium Cutting Compounds, and a white rouge of some sorts, all on Sisal wheels. It gives a nice shiny satin finish that reflects nicely, but still hides some scratches from handling. What grit do you guys go to on stuff that will be engraved??? The 416 is soft, so it scratches more easily than hardened blades.

Trying some different finishes:
220 hand rub on the top, ScotchBrite Fine grit (around 300-400) on the bottom from a belt sander:
220GSBEX.jpg

Hand sanded to 220 grit to get all of the previous deeper scratches out, then hit the lathe! Sisal buffing wheels with Jackson 925, and Fast and Medium Cutting compounds, followed by a white rough:
TH1.jpg

WH1.jpg

TH2.jpg

WH2.jpg

TH3.jpg

I engrave, and personally take anything that is being engraved to a fine 600 hand rubbed finish. I use a microscope with a "ring light" attached to the objective lens when engraving....anything more than a fine satin finish causes serious glare/reflection issues when looking through the scope, and makes it nearly impossible to clearly see what your doing.

There is always minor sanding that takes place during and after engraving as a "clean up" step.

I didn't even think of light reflection! So you think these are too shiny??? I think the rouge was around 600 or so??

I take mine to a 400 grit hand rubbed finish before sending it to the engraver.
Why don't you ask your friend the engraver what finish he prefers to engrave on?

I like a 400 grit hand rubbed finish also. Like Ed says there is always a little sanding to do. I then usually take it to 600 or 800 before and after any fine shading.

I did ask; he is new at engraving and wasn't sure. He wanted a high polish, but wasn't all that familiar with the various grits. I am going to include some of the scrap cut offs from making the handle scales so he can practice on those before he goes to these handles :)

Hey Taz, If its a little shiny your friend can dab a little modeling clay on it and that will help cut the glare some. Whatever finish you decide it should be one he or she can reproduce. Good idea on the practice pc if they are new at this.

Yeah, the hand rub is kinda hard for most people to do without getting the swirls in it and getting it even and clean. He can pick up a sisal buff, adapter and rouge easily from most hardware stores or online.

No, i was thinking it would be easier for them to do the hand finish. I would stay away from any motorized finishes especially after engraving.

Back