Socket handle pointers

jonathan creason

Ok, so I think I've settled on the type of blade I want to do for the KITH (again). I'd like to give a socket handle bush whacker a try, but I'm not 100% certain on where to start. I've watched Stormcrow's youtube vids, and Raymond's demonstration on the DVD so I've got a decent handle on it, but not great. What kind of dimensions to you all shoot for before you start to roll the socket? Also, I only have a crappy bench vise, not a post vise so I won't be able to use a mandrel of any sort. Will that hold me back?

Hey Jonathon, I get mine 3-3 1/2" wide at the end before I start rolling. Also I open the jaws of the vice about an inch, lay the handle on the top and start tapping up the middle with a ball pein so it's starting to look like a U, then move to the anvil. That make sense?

Clear as the stickiest Carolina bucktallow, Randy :3:

Nah, I think I've got a decent idea of what I'm supposed to do. Now I just have to actually make that happen.

Dimensions vary, depending on what you're making.

If you're careful and do it right, you won't have to use a mandrel much. You can do all of it on the flat face of the anvil if you're careful; the only time I use a mandrel is when I make a mistake. :)

That being said, you can forge a mandrel with a spike on the end and drive it into a stump. Been done for millennia; look at the mandrels in the Mastermyr toolchest.

I have a friend that uses a 3" steel pipe split in half lengthwise about a foot long. He starts his roll in it. Like a half circle swedge block.
My largest problem to overcome with sockets is PATIENCE! I want to roll it ! Get it wide and thin enough before you start it.
And I have a bucket of screwed up ones to prove it......

Back