Koa BushDog Finished

Rob Nelson

This one has taken way too long, but finally presented it to my son this morning.

mg0171.jpg

mg0172.jpg

mg0173.jpg

mg0168.jpg

mg0169.jpg

mg0170.jpg

S/F, Chaps

Good looking knife. I like the lines - clean and functional. Convex beveled?

Jeff

A very nice functional looking knife. Just a little suggestion, though. I would keep the forward rivet hole a little farther back. Where you have it is probably a bigger area for stress from prying with the blade and a hole there lessens the strength at that point. It's kind of a minor thing in a blade that size but something to keep in mind.

Doug

Thanks fellas!

Jeff - 7 degree half-height primary, then ground convex to the edge so not a full height convex or saber. Should be a good bushcraft knife with a little more heft behind the edge than a standard bush knife. I'm curious to see if the 3/16" thickness and convex edge works any different in shaving fuzz sticks, etc. Taking it to the shenandoahs in May.

A little story on this project ... it all started with me wanting to get my son a good field knife. Pocomoonskyeyes piped up and said make one, which I set out to do and have now made 12, but I went ahead and bought a schrade big knife for my son as a gift. Its a big knife ... way too big, and my son was grateful, but over time really wanted something not so big. So we've come full circle, and my son is happy with the length and weight of this one. Not to mention the Koa is from a friend's house in HI, and the other half of the block went into a 3 finger knife for his girlfriend's Father.

Now I need to get working for the KITH!

A very nice functional looking knife. Just a little suggestion, though. I would keep the forward rivet hole a little farther back. Where you have it is probably a bigger area for stress from prying with the blade and a hole there lessens the strength at that point. It's kind of a minor thing in a blade that size but something to keep in mind.

Doug

Doug, thank you for the suggestion ... I had already moved it back on the cad file after I drilled the holes on this one. Then the larger loveless bolts just accentuated the location. Honestly, I think it's going to be awhile before I play with 3/16" stock again. It makes a tough brute of a knife though!

Back