Horse Quirt

Church & Son

Yea, I know, what does this have to do with knives? Nothing, but we do other stuff to sell to buy more knife stuff..And I needed to try out all my acquired knowledge on working with bone..(That I took from Wade's posts and peaking in the window of the Soggy Bottom Forge).
A friends yard backs up to a 50,000 acre reserve and his dogs drag up bones and things from it. He sends me some occasionally. This is a deer leg bone and when I opened the box it screamed “Horse Quirt”, so I obliged. The bone is a foot long and the decorations are patterned from several pictures of Native American Quirts from the mid-late 1800′s. The rawhide/leather is some of mine. The beaded loop goes around your wrist. Quirts were more for noise making than whipping the animal contrary to what the movies imply…Randy

quirt1.jpg
quirt2.jpg
quirt3.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice!!! Again, I need to get to that place where you come up with these visions.:117_running_dog: Wade

Missed Ya Randy. Glad to see you have not been goofing off chasing reindeer in the Everglades with Wade. Your quirt is craftsmanship par excellence!

beautiful, the beads and tacks, just awesome. I just love the style of your work, one of these days I will have the honor to own a C&S item

:9::)Randy thank you for the nice job you did on the Quirt for me. All I can say is you keep making them and Ill keep buying them. KT :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks to all ...

Laurence, thanks, correct sort of, the quirt was used as a noise maker by the Spanish Cowboys to herd cattle.
Like a short whip. Might work on my lazy teenager also!!

Brother Wade,it's a short ride to that place...on a short bus...Thanks for all the bone and horn tips..a lot of fun to play with..

Thanks Cougar, it's not MY style, just coping the work of the giants before us...and those nice people who took their photos..
as far as owning C&S stuff, remember, "no job too small, no paycheck too large"

Thanks Troy...me & Wade will build a hemp powered airboat to go chase all those pesky Boa's out of the Everglades, think of all those snakeskin handle 'hawks....

Thanks Terry, always a pleasure...get a part time job..we'll recreate the old west....

Pretty neat.

Your right about making noise. I was living in an apartment one time and I think the lady next door had one of those.

Awesome job, Randy. Your bead work is looking great. Oh, and if you and Wade start having any peace pipe vision parties remember I'm just down the road.

Back