well other thread was to long so start this over heres the start of #2

Attachments

• 100_3459.jpg
    100_3459.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 100_3461.jpg
    100_3461.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 48
got thinking i have never done bolsters, so i desided to use a file to give it a different look + i have never seen done so here is the start tell me what you think? the brass pins are just holding till i shape it all out.

Attachments

• 100_3487.jpg
    100_3487.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 33
thanks wade, you cant see in the pics but i surface ground them and there is a 2 tone color to them. should come out nice.

Thanks for the link.
Yeah, I'v never seen it done. Want to see what it looks like finished. The two tone color will be nice.

heres a little further along. starting to take shape.

Attachments

• 100_3491.jpg
    100_3491.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 100_3492_00.jpg
    100_3492_00.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 51
I've been forging files for 20 years but I never thought of using them for bolsters. Capital idea! Any thoughts on a handle material. I was thinking the other day of making some micarta out of old worn out 2" sanding belts. Kind of the same theme you have going with the file bolsters. Using an abrasive as the material they are normally used on. Just a thought.:les: The knife is looking great by the way:biggrin:

Very nice...speaking of micarta....I hate that stuff...BUT, have you seen the Pine Cone micarta?....pretty neat...

just finished heat treat with a hamon,will post up some pics tomorrow.
what you gys think elk slabs/walnut?

Betcha Wade has some reindeer antler. They seem pretty prolific in the glades, hangin' out with their python buddies:s12137:

sounds like things are going well. You probably already know this, but in case - if you use a nail for your pins, they will be almost invisible when you peen them. Works well wth files, just plain old nail. I use copper nails for pins when I want copper to show. box of 1/8" copper nails is cheap and a whole lot of pins. Same can be said for the darn mild steel nails.
keep em coming
kc

cant believe the wife lost the camera? it might be a little while before i run out and buy one, want to see if old one turns up.
sorry guys

well found it
got the bolsters on,next time i will do them a little different.
learned a few things with this go around,but pretty happy with the way they came out.

Attachments

• 100_3500.jpg
    100_3500.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 29
I was going to ask if you had any rugrats. Found mine after a week in my daughter's bicycle basket.... full of tulip photos. They are pretty nice photos. Any more thoughts on a handle material?

Thinking elk slabs,but have black palm wood ? ideals welcome. at least i found the camera back seat wife's car.
It was the daughter mya grabbed and ran with it lol

I think a handle material that contrasts will with the forged steel and file bolsters would be good. Perhaps some metal spacers for good effect to separate the handle slabs from the tang? Stabilized walnut for the handle? Nail pins for the bolsters sounds like a good idea as they would dissapear if you sand and file them. If you don't finish the bolsters I would stick with the brass or nickel silver for contrast. Perhaps a wee bit of crosshatching on the brass pins for decoration. My rule is if ya can't make the pins go away then make 'em look good!

Oh now you tell me lol!!!! :) gaelic!!! i used mild steel pins i had was going to file grooves to match the file, easeir said then done!
so now the delemia sand whole thing down so pins go away, or leave alone so you still notice the file?
Well live and learn next time anneal shape maybe even reharden then peen pins in so
i have plenty of groove to run my file in next time.

Back