Apple skinners for Eugene

Raymond Richard

Forum Owner & Moderator
These will probably be the last few knives I'll be making for the Oregon Show. These are actually neck knives but I thought they would be perfect for skinning an apple. The steel for these blades came from a very old two man cross cut saw that I found when I help a friend demo an old barn foundation. When they poured the concrete they threw in all there scrape steel and iron. Other than a little rust on the old saw blade it was in pretty good shape. The handles are wrapped in leather with the same pattern as the sheaths. The blade on these three are 2 1/2", overall there just under 6". Each one weighs around 3oz. The blades have been antiqued.

IMG_4223.JPG

IMG_4226.JPG

IMG_4228.JPG

always love your stuff raymond, that is one of the coolest kneck knives i have ever seen. apples beware :)

Definitely great apple skinners! Are you using a shrink fit on the tangs or using adhesive as well? I have never made a leather handle on knives, although I work with leather in other ways such as sheaths, scabbards, pouches, etc. Around here I think the humidity/sweat would wreck havoc with the leather. These blades have a great look.

I probably did not word that question well. Are you using adhesive between the tang and the first piece of leather? I have a general understanding of how you construct this type of work.

The leather is both wet set and glued with contact cement. All pieces that are part of the handle are contacted cemented together. After I dry the glue on the finished piece of leather I will spray the outside with water. Let it soak in for a few seconds and then stretch the leather just before I start working it on the sub handle. Its always wet here in Oregon and they seem to do alright. I use Atomic Balm as a finish sealer.

Thanks! I'll have to check out the Atomic Balm. Thats new to me.

I really appreciate different sheath/leather work and yours is definitely unique and well executed. A great many makers go to extraordinary lengths to make terrific blades and then make a simple utilitarian sheath. Sort of like putting folding chairs in a Cadillac. IMHO one should compliment the other and you certainly have done that. It seems there are fewer and fewer of us working with leather these days.

Back