My blade, Snakewood's handle

Stormcrow

This blade was commissioned by a fellow who posts on the PaleoPlanet froum under the name Snakewood. He wanted a knife blade patterned after the knife I made for the airman to take to SERE training, but with a hidden tang that he could put his own handle on. He's making the knife and a sheath for a customer.

Here's what it looked like before being shipped:

cs04.jpg

cs05.jpg

Note the plentifully-stout tang. It's approximately 1/4" thick at the blade/tang transition, tapering slightly to the end of the tang and tapering distally to the point of the blade. The blade is around 7" long, forged from 3/4" round 5160 and given my typical triple normalization, triple hardening in canola oil, triple tempering heat treatment.

And here's how it looks now:

cs06.jpg

cs07.jpg

The handle is osage orange (bodark, as we Texans pronounce it) mortised to fit the tang, the guard is copper, the pins are 1/4" brass with bronze flange bushings, and the butt of the handle is Montana big horn sheep held with brass pins.

cs08.jpg

cs09.jpg

cs10.jpg

And for a sense of size-in-hand:

cs11.jpg

Looking forward to seeing what he does with the sheath and with the other blades I'm finishing up for him. :)

I really like what you did for the handle. The flange bushings are a great touch.
The Sheep Horn looks great, But is it hard enough to whack anything with?
Or just a decorative accent?
What really get's me though is your English bull Terrorist you have in the back round.
One of my favorite breeds. I hope to have one in a few years.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Cool. I like the look of it.

Sheephorn is pretty tough durable stuff................I mean they DO smash their heads together with INSANE force and it stands up to that..

I've seen it many times from only a few feet away.

But I hope whoever obtained the sheephorn didn't just pick up a horn they found in the woods! :D

Cool. I like the look of it.

Sheephorn is pretty tough durable stuff................I mean they DO smash their heads together with INSANE force and it stands up to that..

I've seen it many times from only a few feet away.

But I hope whoever obtained the sheephorn didn't just pick up a horn they found in the woods! :D

You are right about the massive impact from two bucks going head to head.
That's when the horn is alive or at least the part of the horn connecting to the skull is alive.

It's a darn fine knife, The pattern on the Sheep horn is reminiscent of the Butt plate on a WWII military Rifle.
I know it's not steel.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I like the way you fashioned the blade. The shape is very desirable and well proportioned. I like the rustic "use me" appeal. Looks like your customer followed through with some moves of his own. I do think the guard could have been sculpted a bit for greater asthetics, but in all it's a very good looking knife.

Thanks, guys.

Rhinoknives - I've never worked with sheep horn, so I can't say. It's not my handle, dog, Jeep, or hand. :) They're Snakewood's.

Snakewood made a rather nice sheath to go with the knife. I particularly like how it acknowledges the blade's choil and follows the curve of the inside of the handle so well.

009-1.jpg

010.jpg

015.jpg

As before, the photos come from Snakewood. Not my handle, sheath, dog, Jeep, hand, or...um.... tattoos. :)

All around nice package....but back to the knife.:nothing::biggrin:

Although everything looks great, I found that copper and brass rivets raise heck with leather. After the sheath gets wet and dries a couple of times, the problems start around the rivets. Other than that, nice package.

Rudy

Back