KITH Let the forging begin.

Wade Hougham

Well I figured I should get a start and not wait to the last minute.
This blade is from the 1 1/4" spring that I have. It will end up some where close to 6" long.
The final blade will have an antique finish with a nice quench line.
Let the forging begin!!!

(little schoolgirl squeel) Wade...your finally making me a knife! This is awesome...I hope you continue posting throughout the build. I'd love to follow the progress.

Oh now there goes the neighborhood, between watching everyone elses wip and trying to learn something i will never get done :(
welcome to the fun wade, forge on brother man !!!!

Where do you find these cool antlers?!!! First ya gun down Blitzen for his head gear and now some Axis deer. Very nice!

Wade - this one is a little stretch from your recent style, and I really like it! Maybe I will get lucky..
of course, the others are good, too. I guess we will all , "win."
looking forward to seeing how this develops.
kc

Hey - that quench line is pretty dramatic. I like it a lot -- do you know anything about the chemistry of this spring? Is it 9260 or 5160 (less likely) or one of the 10xx's? From the quench line, I am GUESSING 9260 or the like. just a GUESS, though.

Maybe a 10XX. If it is one of the 10XX and I happen to win, then I will be challenged with whether or not to polish the hamon all the way... darn you...

Kevin,
I really don't know what the chemistry is. All I can tell you is that I am quenching in peanut oil and tempering 2x 1.5 hrs at 425 and it seems to be working very well.
Looking forward to seeing your entry come together.
Wade

Back