Start of my KITH

messerist

Right out of the fire. Forged from a leaf spring off of a retired Army 5-ton truck. I'll treat it as if it is 5160. The knife is annealing right now. May have time tomorrow to contine work on it.
tribal bowie 001.jpg

wow thats looking mighty good. how long is the blade. i am starting to feel like i brang a knife to a sword fight :) lol

Franklin, the face of my anvil measures 16.5" and the knife is just a tad shy of the full lenght of the face...I figure about 11". Thanks George. I'm fond of big cleaver-type blades.

The original thought was some type of wrap but as I work on knives my mind tends to wander...

Great start, this is going to be one heck of a chopper. And remember, wandering minds are a bladesmith's best friend.:s11779: Wade

Started filing on my KITH today.
WIP Kith 001.jpg
WIP Kith 002.jpg
You can begin to see bare metal. This scale is punishing on files. Anyone have a good solution to getting rid of scale that doesn't involve a grinder? Not that I don't like grinders, in fact one day I would like to own one.
WIP Kith 003.jpg
Lotsa filings!
WIP Kith 004.jpg

Last edited:
I usually pickle scale off the blade. I let it soak in a mixture of vinegar and Ferric Chloride. It does a d@mn good job saving belts from the wrath of scale.

You are welcome, I got the idea from Don Fogg (his forum, I think) and it has worked very well for me. Let me know if it works for you. Good looking knife too, by the way.

Started filing on my KITH today.
View attachment 31316
View attachment 31317
You can begin to see bare metal. This scale is punishing on files. Anyone have a good solution to getting rid of scale that doesn't involve a grinder? Not that I don't like grinders, in fact one day I would like to own one.
View attachment 31318
Lotsa filings!
View attachment 31319

I've been meaning to ask... what type of file are you using? It looks aggressive, like the the multi-kut files but it doesn't look typical of one.

OK, I left the worlds problems behind today and finished draw filing the KITH I am working on. Now I will go through several grits of wet&dry paper to probably 400 grit. We'll see what paper I have left(CFO says I have to cease my "profligate" spending!) I still have no idea about a handle but I'll come up with something in time.
15 3/4" full length
progress kdkith 004.jpg
Detail of the false edge
progress kdkith 003.jpg
Almost as big as my anvil!
progress kdkith 005.jpg
The other side
progress kdkith 006.jpg

Mike, I am using various files that a buddy gave to me about a year ago. Most are laminate files for doing countertop work. Don't ask me how he uses them. I have no idea. I also have a some Nicholson files, both single and double cut. I basically use whatever will cut!

Last edited:
Troy,
I dub thee "The Monster" and it is sure looking good!!! What ever you decide on for the handle just make sure it is a comfy grip. Wade

Last edited:
I have finished the blade to 220 grit. About four hours of sanding, give or take. My three year old loves driving Daddy insane by taking her sidewalk chalk to the next level...highway chalk. She knows she is not allowed in the street but.... Anyways here are some picts. Next step, Heat Treat!
Here is a picture of my belt sander with a 80 grit belt
sanding 001.jpg
Another shot, 150 grit.
sanding 003.jpg
Here is my bench grinder. She is a little over three years old and does a bang-up job on scale removal! And she works for applesauce!
sanding 004.jpg
220 grit on my sander
sanding 005.jpg
Ready for heat treat!
sanding 007.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my belt grinder. It is a little over three years old and does a bang-up job on scale removal! And she works for applesauce!
View attachment 31512

Great looking knife, its coming along very nicely. You Neo Tribal guys have me ignoring my grinder. I've started firing up the gas forge and pounding away on my impromptu anvil. :biggrin:

You are very fortunate, I have two boys (10 and 14) who would rather chew their faces off then put time in on the workbench. They typically give up after 5 minutes of work and opt to go read or play with our house dogs (2 farting, slobbering, lazy bulldogs).

Looking darn good!

I soak my blades overnight in 9% vinegar. It eats the scale off quite well. It just leaves a black sludge that you rinse off and you're left with the kind of forge finish you see on my blades.

Where do you find 9% vinegar? I've been looking for pickling vinegar which is 7% but no one in my little burg carries it. All I can find is Heinz 5%.

Back