hollow grind by hand HOW TO

graveyard

i use hand tools fies so on im makeing a sen (draw knife ) im like to hollow grind the under side can it be do by hand any help welcome help a mute out

Well, Yes!
If you have a very large grindstone with a crank handle and someone to turn it for you.

I did try this one or two times when I was using files, use a 1/2 round or oval file length ways to file in a hollow along the bottom edge. Very difficult to get it even.

Maybe someone else has another idea for you? I wasn't happy with the results.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I'm not gonna say it can't be done, but I've yet to see it, and I'm sure that's because of the difficulty that would be involved in getting everything even and clean.

When hollow grinding, it used to bug me that I couldn't change direction between grits, like I do when hand sanding flats. One day, it ocurred to me I could just leave the grinder turned off and 'hand sand' from point to tip by pushing the blade back and forth across the wheel. I really don't know if this has any application for what you are trying to do, but if you could find something with appropriate radius - even a cheap bech grinder, you might be able to work something out with coarse (and then finer) wet/dry paper.

Rob!

When hollow grinding, it used to bug me that I couldn't change direction between grits, like I do when hand sanding flats. One day, it ocurred to me I could just leave the grinder turned off and 'hand sand' from point to tip by pushing the blade back and forth across the wheel. I really don't know if this has any application for what you are trying to do, but if you could find something with appropriate radius - even a cheap bech grinder, you might be able to work something out with coarse (and then finer) wet/dry paper.

Rob!

Rob has given me a idea of sorts?
shape a piece of Hardwood to the radius that you want in the hollow grind. Put a thick piece of leather then sandpaper over it and mount it solid enough to sand back & forth.

If you have plenty of time,Elbow grease, Patience & Sandpaper? It may just work?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Back