Meet Mister Wizard

Raymond Richard

Forum Owner & Moderator
Guess I've been working on this project for a couple weeks now and I'm still not 100% done with the bowie but I have been pretty excited about showing off the sheath so here it is. I still need to do some more hand rubbing on the blade and then I'll get it epoxied and sharpened. The bowie has a 9 1/2" W-5 blade. The usual wrought iron fittings and a curly maple handle. Its 14 1/2" overall.

I got the idea for the sheath after looking at "Its a Burl" website. There is a wood carving on the home page that caught my eye. I asked Mark if he could please send me the photo of the carving and he said the carvings were all over his business so he sent me around 10 different photo's of the various carvings. After studying the photo's for awhile I ended up wanting to do a composite of a couple different ones besides adding some of myself. At the same time doubt had crept into my head thinking I'd never be able to pull it off but I went ahead and gave it a try and I think it worked out. Thanks a lot Mark for the photo's.

IMG_4206.JPG

IMG_4209.JPG

IMG_4212.JPG

Bruce, Him is bringing me to Eugene. See you there in a few days.

Glad you fellows like my new work. I started thinking of trying doing some of this leather work just for art sake. The bad thing about the sheaths is even on the larger ones like this its hard to get the detail work to show well. I'm finding this art work turning into an adventure all by itself.

Great sheath, it's amazing how much detail you got in it. The touch of detail on the guard and pommel goes
very well with it.

Back