Hand Saex

I do not know if it is appropriate for a maker to post his own work here, but I just finished this and I am rather pleased with it. If I should not be posting this here please let me know!

2012006FLwS1.jpg

2012006SCFL1.jpg

2012006chape.jpg

Overall Length:mad: 13-3/8@ inches
Blade Length: 8-1/4 inches
Hilt Overall Length: 5-1/8 inches
Blade width @ Base: 1-1/16 inch
Blade Thickness at base: 1/4 inch
Center of Gravity: 1/2 inch from base of blade

Hand-sax in the style of the Carolingian Era.
The 8-1/4 inch long blade is differentially-tempered 5160 spring steel flat-ground from the spine to the extremely sharp zero-ground cutting edge.@ The blade is fully engraved in an Anglo-Norse knot-work motif

The handle is a piece of antique antler capped with black cow-horn.@ Antler is often naturally curved in a way that is more comfortable for the right or left hand; this piece was selected specifically to be comfortable in either hand.

The scabbard is 8oz. vegetable-tanned leather dyed brown and incised with motifs that match the engraving on the blade.@ The decorative motifs are adapted from a hand-sax scabbard dating to the 8th.C. The brass fittings are in the style of swedish knife scabbards. The chape is engraved with a interlaced bird figure.@ The top-plate is engraved on the right side with the words 'Tinker Gebe Mik' (Tinker Made me) in the 'Beowolf' font based on writings dating to the 8thC.@ The scabbard is finished with a hand-rubbed Carnuba Wax finish.

Actually...if you dont post your own work here, we will accuse you of holding back on us.
Nice work on the knife, thanks for sharing.

You certainly should post your own work here. Lots of it :)

That's a great Seax and I really like your description of what the parts were inspired by.

Back