home made center scribe

franklin

hey guys i now making this is nothing new.
what im after is has anyone figured a good way to mark a spot you want to keep, say fo 1/8, 3/16 thick steel so you can just set and mark. Here is what i made all suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• 100_3483.jpg
    100_3483.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 100_3484.jpg
    100_3484.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 136
maybe you could take the hexagon and 'v' groove pre measured marks for various steel depth. Take the bolt and grind a tip on it to catch into the 'v' grove on the hex, this way you could lightly loosen, pull the hex up til you feel it hit the grove then tighten..

nice idea, I'm still kinda stuck on drill bits.. for the time being until I can get an actual scribe or make something clever like you have there.........

Thanks guys.
i think i am going to try that battle,+a few more. this was easy and only cost 5.00 to make.
So i had to, give it a try.

Looks like it would work fine.
I have seen over time that it doesn't have to be two lines at exactly the thickness you want the finished edge to be.
For me personally, If I have two lines there it gives me the reference needed. Most of the time I just do it by eyeball with no lines. Somehow I end up where I need to be!
Most of the time!:biggrin:

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Cool and simple solution to scribing a centerline. Thanks for posting.

ps What did you use for the actual scribe point?

Franklin, I see you are using a rule to set up your height. Have you given a feeler gauge any though? I picked one up to go with the scribe I'm making.

mike the ruler was just to show how large the face of scribe,i would like some way to have permanent marks on it to just set it each time for a given steel size.

If you sharpen the scribe point eccentrically, you can rotate it for very fine adjustment.

You could make a stepped block to set your scribe height or etch some lines on the post to line up with the base.

Nice jig.

Ric

Back