Identifying steel that can be used for knives ?

CRAIG1952

I just came across several old Edger blades (Used In Trimming Sidewalks) and I was wondering if anybody knows what type of steel is this ? I have read where some knife makers use this steel for there blades. I want to make sure that this can be done. I have also read were several knife makers use old saw blade. I would appreciate any information, as I come across this type of steel at Swap Meets and garage sales.

Craig,
Hi! My 2 Cents on this is unless you really know what a steel is? I would just pass on it? The amount of Labor & love I put into my knives deserves a known steel that I can HT or have HTed Properly so I know what I am selling to my customers? Besides a new know steel isn't that much money.

If you want to scavenge your steel? Go post and ask the Neo-Tribal folks in their forum or hopefully they will answer here? Remember you are welcome at my shop and I'm sure I'll have a piece of 440C or ATS-34 steel that we can get you started with!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Laurence,
I just received some 1095 and 440C from a Jantz knife supply. I guess, I Should have added that I want to use this steel for practicing grinding. My thinking is that I would rather ruin an unknown steel, that screw up a perfectly good piece of 440C.
My thumb is starting to heal, but I have no feeling in half of my thumb and not sure how the grinding will go. So I figured I should practice. Hard to grip anything right now:(
I plan on coming by and staying longer then I did last time. Have a lot to learn from a master Bladesmith:biggrin:

Laurence,
I just received some 1095 and 440C from a Jantz knife supply. I guess, I Should have added that I want to use this steel for practicing grinding. My thinking is that I would rather ruin an unknown steel, that screw up a perfectly good piece of 440C.
My thumb is starting to heal, but I have no feeling in half of my thumb and not sure how the grinding will go. So I figured I should practice. Hard to grip anything right now:(
I plan on coming by and staying longer then I did last time. Have a lot to learn from a master Bladesmith:biggrin:

Craig, You must be talking about someone else? I am not a Master Smith. I have never even payed dues or any contact with the Guild.

I refer to myself as a Stock Removal Wildcatter knife Maker. Watched and listened to just a few giants & read a few books

The rest has been trial & error, Mostly error! :biggrin:

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I remember that you told me that, when I was at your shop, so I just threw that in to give you a laugh :biggrin:

You can practice grinding by working with almost any material - wood and mdf work well.

I am a Wildcatter Knife Maker as Well...a devout one though.

ps Thanks for a very descriptive and fitting term, Laurence.

Yup. Best to use known steel to make a knife so you have the opportunity to make the best knife you can.

And best to use wood or MDF to practice grinding so you don't wear down your belts too much. I really love building wooden knives out of 1x1 tomato stakes or porch railings because it lets me see just how bad of an idea some of my ideas are. Feeling it in your hand is a whole nuther beast compared to a 3D rendering on a screen!

I think everyone starts out grinding the cheapest material you can find I would encourage everyone to do that.
It doesn't take long to get the basics down and as soon as you can, I would suggest moving over to knife steel and make it a goal to make a knife. This will always be well before you are "ready" but you will end up with a knife, even it doesn't look that great.

I found personally that I didn't put as much effort into grinding practice wood or cheap mild steel as I did knife steel and as a result I didn't learn as much. The minute I switched to knife steel and knew it mattered more (it's more expensive and I am cheap) I paid a lot more attention and my grinding got a lot better a lot quicker. It's silly I know. I should have been able to learn just as much using cheaper, mild steel but for me I couldn't unless there was something on the line.

I think everyone starts out grinding the cheapest material you can find I would encourage everyone to do that.
It doesn't take long to get the basics down and as soon as you can, I would suggest moving over to knife steel and make it a goal to make a knife. This will always be well before you are "ready" but you will end up with a knife, even it doesn't look that great.

I found personally that I didn't put as much effort into grinding practice wood or cheap mild steel as I did knife steel and as a result I didn't learn as much. The minute I switched to knife steel and knew it mattered more (it's more expensive and I am cheap) I paid a lot more attention and my grinding got a lot better a lot quicker. It's silly I know. I should have been able to learn just as much using cheaper, mild steel but for me I couldn't unless there was something on the line.

BossDog,
You comments make complete sense.
I tried the wood and mild thing about once each before I said what the hey!
I want to make a knife! Also there are big differences in how a mild steel and a annealed High Carbon steel will grind.
It is a totally different feel to me. Also 2 x 4 pine wood works much different that Ironwood for instance.

Stay at it Craig!

Also Jeff, Mr Bush monkey. I may now have to come up with something else than Wildcatter to describe myself!
Now that you have made it a Guild. Being the Rebel and non-conformist that I am!:biggrin:

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Back