Heat treating books

Watching this one. I think the problem is that most of them were not designed for our applications. Would be nice though. Somebody needs to drag Paul Bos out of retirement to write this book. :3:

The other "Paul" that now runs Paul Bos Heat Treat for Buck kinves is also a great man to share his knowledge. I bet if you call him at Buck in Idaho. He could help or tell you a publication to get concerning the Newer Powder steels from CPM or what ever you are after?
Or contact Niagara Specialty Metals in NY. ask for Jeff or Andy for any publications concerning these topics.

I get all of my steel from www.nsm-ny.com/ and my HT done by Paul Bos HT in Idaho.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I might not be understanding exactly what it is your looking for, but you can pull the data sheets for all of the "new" steels right off the net. I keep a file on both my computer and my iphone with all the data sheets of steels I think are worthy.....including most of the CPM steels. All the necessary info for heat treating is contained in the data sheets.

If you go to ASM International and open an account with them, it's free, you can look up and down load data sheets for most of the steels out there. There is a small fee, about $15-20, and you can download them to your computer. It beats having to buy a big book for $250-300 that is full of steels that can't be used for knife making.

Doug

I think I know what you're looking for Anthony. Datasheets are a great starting point, but if there was a manual centered around stainless, that covered the stuff that the datasheets don't (including how to interpret datasheets) I'd be all over it. Tell me how ramp speed affect stainless Hardening. Discuss the practical differences between forced air, plates, oil and salt. Show me a curve of cryo effects from room temp to dry ice to liquid Nitrogen - and some micrographs to go with it. Discuss the similar, but oh so different - concepts of hardness, flexibilty and 'brittleness'.....

If that's the book you're lookiing for, let me know when you find it. :3: I want a copy too.

You know, all the information is available on the internet - but it's hard to consolidate - about half is unsubstantiated hearsay - and there's no good means for recognizing the good information in the other half. I feel your pain....

Yes Knifemaker .ca the problem is there are heatreating recipes for say ats-34 the tempering anyway. well actually Evenheat's websight has a pretty good info.
thanks Anthony

Back