First time and "Know It All's"

backtines

I have a few firsts in this one .. This is the first time I used M3 scales and Stainless bolsters . The M3 finishes up really nice without much buffing effort .
Knife is 8" total . 3.5" blade and 4.5" from front of bolster to end of handle. Some hand filing on the spine . Red liners (.015)with a few squigly's between bolster and handle and a piece of stainless (.030) right up against scales..

Then of course I made a stupid mistake , I let a "Know it all" into my little garage shop. He told me I was doing everything wrong.. "You need to do this and you need to do that". He got me so aggravated , I threw him out ..
Now that my blood pressure was going through the roof , I screwed up ..
While I was sanding, buffing and finishing the knife , I noticed I left out a red liner on one side. I usually use two liners to sandwich the squigly's and I left one out . Talk about being Mad ??
Lesson learned .. If you're a" Know it all " Stay Out !!
Thanks for looking.
Mikey D

Hey Mike,
aside from the spacer, it's obvious you have fit and finish down pat. Nice work.
I have the same problem with visitors to my shop telling me what I should, should've and could do..... Except most of them never built a knife. I shut down the operation and wait till they leave after racooning my knives and giving me their pearls of wisdom. I can't work with people around unless I'm forging, then they can talk all they want.

Although it looks nice, I found that the M3 was kind of heavy when I bought some 4 years ago. Expensive too.

Rudy

Ha ha ha ha Yes , your right "Know it all" stay out sorry this happened very nice knife.

M3 Is short for Macro Molecular Metal is made up of metal that has been deconstructed to the macro molecular level , re-alloyed and then reconstructed creating a completely new metal composite material. I bought a few scales at a knife show. It looked real cool but very expencive . I just wanted to try something different.

Mikey,
You didn't F77 up! You made a design modification while Pissed off! :biggrin:
I am sure when you hit it big that knife become a very valuable collectors piece. It's differently a one of a kind now.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Thanks guys . He gassed me up and I wasnt paying attention !

Mikey,
About 10 years ago I was getting ready for a Contemporary Art show that I do locally with my knives and as most of the time I was behind in my work and was up all night putting my Rhino logo on my knives to have them ready for the next big day! At about 3am I put the logo on reversed so it etched backwards!

This was on a Indian/Mountain Man type Scalper blade with a fringed sheath.
I noticed the problem with the logo in the morning when I was setting up at the show.
during the early hours of a three day show a attendee came by to see my knives, "I and one other Knifemaker at this show" all the rest were Jewelry,Paintings, Bronze Sculpture etc... High end stuff!

He was giving me some kind words about the quality of my knives compared to the other knife guy and I started laughing and saying thank you but you haven't seen this one yet with the logo on reversed.
I showed him the logo on the Scalper knife knife and the man said, I'll take it!
I had priced the knife at full pop with no discounting for my screw up! He purchased it and one other Culinary knife after looking a bit more.

The moral of the story here is Let the customer decide what is a screw up and what makes the knife more interesting or collectible?

I saw the man again the following year and he purchased another knife from me and laughed saying he had fun showing that Scalper with the reversed logo to a few of his friends.

So tell your story about the "Know it all" at the next show that came into your shop uninvited and caused you to make this Design Modification!:biggrin:

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Thats a great story Laurence , you're right , I never looked at it like that .. "Let the customer decide". And Im still lovin the " Design Modifacation"

Stay well bro.

Back