Sharpening Question.

Suppavillin

Why are there different edges. Now im not talking about grinds,although I dont understand them either.
Say the blade is black. Some blades have an edge where u see 1/64" of silver on the edge. and some have an edge that is say...1/16" of steel showing. I dont understand?
Is there any better than the other?

Thickness at the edge of the blade will set a precedence of how high along with angle . And to say what is better ... It really depends on what the use of the knife is intended for .

Ok, thank you for helping. See this edge on my knife how u can see the polished steel along the damascus. What does this edge mean compaired to my others. Ill post them underIMG_1638.jpgIMG_1640.jpgIMG_1639.jpg

Last edited:
I have 3 different knives in the pics... The first pic shows a large fixed blade with damascus blade with a polished edge.
The second knife is a polished damascus blade with an edge u can barly see but it is very sharp.
The 3rd and last pic is a damascus blade with a very thin edge that is also very very sharp.
-Can someone help me figure out what the difference is or what im even looking at. How come the first knife has a bigger edge.(That blade is also the thickest of the 3 if that matters?)

Thickness at the edge of the blade will set a precedence of how high along with angle . And to say what is better ... It really depends on what the use of the knife is intended for .

The more I think about what you said along with looking at those 3 knives I had piced it makes perfect sence now. (My thickest blade of the 3 has a (bigger) edge. It is the only way it can be done with a thick blade right?)If i understand now...It would be impossible to have a high edge on a very thin blade? Am I right?

The more I think about what you said along with looking at those 3 knives I had piced it makes perfect sence now. (My thickest blade of the 3 has a (bigger) edge. It is the only way it can be done with a thick blade right?)If i understand now...It would be impossible to have a high edge on a very thin blade? Am I right?

you would be right , a thin edge would not let the sharpening grind be very high ! unless it was at such an extreme angle that it was paper thin . by the looks of the knives you are showing , not sure of the makers but , they know what they are doing on them . great looking knives !!

IMG_1638.jpgIMG_1641.jpgOk thank you so much for helping me with this. i have one more compairason. See how the damascus blade has an edge you can see begin. How come the other blade you can't see the edge at all.But it is very sharp compaired to the damascus edge? And they both are of thick stock the non damascus blade is actually of thicker stock if that means anything.

The makers are Jerry Mcclure (Fixed Walrus) Ken Steigerwalt (Scalloped Bolstersmybowie.jpgmyknife5.jpgmyknife.jpg Mammoth) Mel Pardue (Fluted Mammoth) Here are just full pictures of the knives I was showing you. Does have anything to do with the questions.Thanks again for helping

Back