Need a source for wire rope to make cable Damascus

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
I am looking for a source for a full spool of high carbon wire rope that would be good for cable Damascus. I have been getting a few calls for it and need to add it to my assortment.
Thanks for any help..
t

Hi, Tracy!

You might look for "lifting" companies near you in MN and ask after "tag ends" of Extra Improved Plow or Double Extra Improved Plow. Depending on how much length they use off a spool to replace a crane cable, there's often quite a bit of "tag end" that's too short for another crane refurbish and can be had at excellent prices.

A whole spool of 1 1/4" can be a pretty big affair.

Last edited:
Drilling rigs use a lot of this stuff and they usually have spools of old cable in there yards that is good for nothing but scrap. This is where I get mine.
Jim

Hey Mike, good to see you posting here. It's been awhile sine we have visited.
I will have to look around and see what might be local here. I couldn't imagine handling 1.25" cable and trying to get it cut. I will have look for somthing about half of that diameter and let the user stack them accordingly.

Hi, Tracy!

You might look for "lifting" companies near you in MN and ask after "tag ends" of Extra Improved Plow or Double Extra Improved Plow. Depending on how much length they use off a spool to replace a crane cable, there's often quite a bit of "tag end" that's too short for another crane refurbish and can be had at excellent prices.

A whole spool of 1 1/4" can be a pretty big affair.

Back