Strange knife?

D.Douglas

As i was cleaning some nice fat crappies i caught, I was wondering how many other people use an electric knife? I have cleaned alot of fish in my day and for smaller type freshwater fish, it cant be beat. Supper is going to be delicious tonight! Mom, You pick up some coleslaw?
031518281.jpg
[/IMG]

You don't need more than your pocket knife and a big spoon. just make a cut through the skin behind the gill then pull off the skin all the way back to the tail. next take a spoon and scrape off the fillet. Run it from front to back along the backbone. Simple and fast.

Ernie I would love to race. If im looking at 20 or 30 or so fish a spoon and a pocket knife wont cut it for me. You do have to go back and cut the ribcage out because i go through it rather than around it. I just ate those fish and they were fantastic! It dont get much better than fresh fried crappie.

As kids we would set up an assembly line, one kid makes the cuts, the next peels back the skin and the last spoons out the fillets. no bones, no dealing with scales or guts. We could do a bucket full in a few minutes. Crappies are great because the skin pulls off easily, perch skin just does not like to cooperate.

ernie

You aint kidding about perch skin! i would say perch and walleye are close behind crappie in taste.

yea man electric is the way to go on pan fish. but on a 30 or40 lb blue cat i get out the big knives. to be honest i will not make a fillet knife or a swiss army type knife because there are just to many good ones out there on the market already.

As kids we would set up an assembly line, one kid makes the cuts, the next peels back the skin and the last spoons out the fillets. no bones, no dealing with scales or guts. We could do a bucket full in a few minutes. Crappies are great because the skin pulls off easily, perch skin just does not like to cooperate.

ernie

That sounds all to familiar haha!

I've used electric knives before for cleaning fish when I used to go to Louisiana and catch hundreds of speckled trout and redfish. Even with the electric knives this was a long hard job.

Back