Green Canvas Micarta Smithwick

Travis Fry

As many of you have likely observed, It has been a long time since I last posted a knife. Several things have intervened to assure that I stayed out of the shop. First was a CPA exam, which I thankfully passed after several months of study. Unbeknownst to me, while I studied the honey-do list grew alarmingly long, which in due time occupied several more months. In between I started to learn to draw, and found that I was quite good at it. I made an effort to seek commissions, and drew some portraits that turned out quite well. All of this time I was working full time, and trying to be a good husband and father. Finally, I got a new shop dog, a vizsla pup named Titus. Soon my last two exams will rob me of what free time I have left, until they are done in July. In the meantime, here is one I fit into the spaces and completed.

This is one of my Smithwick models with green canvas micarta, stainless pins and thong hole tube, and a blade of 1/8 inch 1080 from Kelly Cupples.

OAL: 7.25 inches
Blade: 3 inches

194-full.jpg

Last edited:
Nice blade Travis. Your logo is well done as well and the green canvas micarta should provide an outstanding grip. Everything you need and nuthin' ya don't!

Congratulations on the CPA exam Travis! Nice looking knife and it is good to see you getting a little time in the shop again.

Craig

The good news: I'm kinda glad I was away from the shop for so long. It made me realize that while I may enjoy other hobbies (drawing, remodelling, etc.) I LOVE doing this! This is the first hobby I've ever had that I didn't get bored with with a a few months or weeks.

The bad news: The CPA exam has 4 sections. I've only passed 2 of them. Each one requires 80-150 hours of study, which will eat into my future shop time. Thankfully the two hardest ones are behind me, and after July I won't ever have to take any of them again!

Travis,
Seems like all of you knifemakers in Texas do such nice clean work. This knife is another one that fits the description. Beauty. Wade

Nice... Real nice. I checked your website, I like your style. Did you make the Green Canvas Micarta?

Thanks for the kind words. I see you're in Houston... What part? About the micarta, no. I bought I a long time ago from I don't even remember where.

Back