My first folder

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
I feel very fortunate to know MS Jon Christensen both as a mentor and a friend. A few weeks ago I was able to attend a folder class along with Doug Campbell at Jon's shop.

Jon's work has been some of my favorite in all the knife world. I think he has great style and his knives have first class fit, finish and flow. So it was no surprise that he put the same effort into his teaching. He had a good setup with the proper tools and included a step by step printed packet for us to take home to refer to for future builds. He cut no corners and I feel that he gave us a good foundation to properly build liner lock folders.

So here is the result of the class. My first folding knife. It is really smooth, it locks up solid and the blade has no play. The blade is also dead center in the handle when closed. I couldn't be happier with it for my first effort.

The damascus is from my own first billet of random damascus. Some might say a nicer pattern would be better but I think my first folder from my first damascus is pretty fitting so I'm good with it. I'm also debating still timing the screws but since this will be carried in my pocket and used daily, I probably won't worry about it.

Specs:
My ownd 310 layer random damascus, 1080 & 15n20
3 1/8" blade, 7" overall, 4" closed .105" thick blade
.050" titanium liners
Black g-10 dovetailed bolsters
Silver Twill g-10 scales with black carbon inlay dots
File Fullered backbar made of same damascus as the blade
Damascus thumbstud

Folder1.jpg

Folder2.jpg

Folder3.jpg

Folder4.jpg

Folder5.jpg

Folder6.jpg

Folder7.jpg

Folder8.jpg

Your doing some GREAT work John !

Loving this folder and congrats on two firsts with one knife. Really cool stuff.

The screws did catch my eye though. I'd try swapping them out for some black oxide hex or torx heads and see if you like that better. I'll bet you wouldn't even need to time the torx ones for a much smoother look.

LOVE the damascus. I think it's got alot of character.

Fullered backbar adds a nice touch of class to an upscale EDC.

I won't be suprised if you report back that you sold it right out of your pocket, LOL

Take care- Josh

Dude , I think you did a GREAT JOB !!! Id like to give it a try at a folder some day .. Really nice !!
Mike

John, It looks like you paid attention in class, congratilations on your fisrt folder and a great job. Dan

Back