Can't get handle pins flush

levernut

I can't seem to get the handle pins flush with the scales. For "pins" I use the medium stainless corby rivets which have a 1/4" head. Scales are usually wood but I sometimes use Micarta. Briefly, my process is to slack belt grind the handle with 220 grit, then follow with hand sanding using 400, 600 and sometimes 800 grit. The pins are flush after the slack grinding but start protruding with the 400 grit. I use a hard wooden block when I sand over the pins but that doesn't help much. Do I need to learn to use the belt grinder and flat platen or are there other tools or techniques that I am missing?
Brad W.

Your pins are sticking up because they are much harder than the scale material and the belt seeks the path of least resistance.
You need to sand this part against a platten and finish up by hand very lightly to avoid this.

I use a vibrating hand sander to finish g-10 and micarta scales and have replaced the felt pad with a solid backer (I used Corian, but maple works too.)

Steve

What Steve said,
and I use a piece of thick leather, Full stiff hide behind the sand paper for all of my hand sanding through the finishing grits.

Take your time on the details and it will come out great!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Back