Spam Alert

C Craft

Not sure where to post this and I guess this crap is what you call spam!

I got an email from Joshua Dabney. With a subject line nur.atalay.lojp. It is spam about working at home.

Not blaming Joshua at all. I know Joshua and he didn't do it! He and I started making knives about the same time and we have a mentor that we both know. However Joshua is not in my contacts list on my PC.

Someone has hacked into one of the knife sites that I am a member of! And is using it too send out spam. I remember seeing his name recently on one of the post I had made on one of the knife sites and also remember clicking on his name and went to his site to look at some of his most recent works.
This person who is doing the spam may be using malware or something to link up the names. Somehow they knew enough to know that I would open the email mostly because it was from a fellow knife maker. They may be using the friends list to get the emails as Joshua and I are friends on at least one site maybe more.

Anyway I have run virus scans as well as malware scans and can't find a virus or malware on my PC. That doesn't mean it's not there, these creeps are getting smarter all the time. I wanted everyone to be aware of what is happening so maybe the powers to be on the sites can do something to stop this!
If it has happened once it will probably be happening thousands of times. So if you get email from someone that you are friends with on one of the knife sites......................well you have just been spammed. I don't even know if Knife Dogs.com can do anything to stop it I am not even sure this is where it started. However it is connected to one of the knife site and I thought everyone should be aware of it. Hell they may be sending spam to everyone on my friends list right now, in my name and I don't know what to do to stop it!!! Anyone got any advice how to protect yourself on your own PC?

Sorry guys.

Woke up this morning to tons of emails. From freinds and family letting me know I was sending out spam (virus ???)

My apologies !

Changed my password on my e-mail account so I hope that put's an end to this.

If anyone get e-mail from me with an odd or non-knife related subject please don't open and delete !

-Josh

Hey bud I wan't blaming you at all! I should not have opened the email if I had looked at the subject line better. But when I saw your name I instinctively opened it. The same thing happend a while back with me. I got an email in my son's name and when I opened it spam. So it's going around. No apology necessary for me I just wanted you and others to be aware of it. I think some how they maybe using the knife sites to hack the info. Just my opinion though I can't prove it!

I know you are a stand up guy Joshua and knew it had nothing to do with you except they were using your name!

No offense was taken buddy :3:

I did send an email to everyone in my contacts list to give'em a heads up on the situation.

Thanks for being one of those who let me know ! I do appreciate it.

According to my wife changing my password should put a stop to it and be all that's needed. She's alot more tech saavy than this ole' boy so I'll take her word for it

-Josh

Josh, changing your password will stop them from getting onto your accounts as long as there isn't key logger virus, I would run a complete virus scan just to be safe. Also if you have multiple accounts with the same password as one they used to spam with I would recommend changing those as well. Doing all this is usually not needed but better safe than sorry.
-Cameron

Back