help with makers mark?

theWeatherman

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping me with making stencils for my makers mark?

I am getting an earful from my better half about making them myself. And I am trying to save money about getting them.

I spent close to $100 trying to make own, it all went to waste except for the experience. I ended up going to Ernie for my labels and spending 56.00 ... of course, I kicked myself in @55 for having thrown away that first hundred or so.

Ernie from blue lighting stencils is great to deal with and Rock one of our members
is a graphic artist.

Well, The one thing everybody get's when they didn't get what they wanted is ??????

Experience! Take it from a few of us with that "Experience"
Have a pro that is all set up do your makers mark!
Have a pro place like WSSI or K & G supply Stabilize your wood!
Buy your steel from a supply house that knows what they are selling!
Buy a quality grinder machine or built your own if, you know what you are doing?
And get variable speed or a step pulley setup!

These are a few of the tried & True lessons that us before you try to pass on! With mixed results:biggrin:

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I had ernie make my stencils last year.
Ernie will help customize or modify your design if needed.
Ernie also places your makers mark on his site which is great.
He is the best for stencils.

This is funny, I was just about to post the same topic! I have been playing with Ideas for a logo most of the day. I just got may etcher yesterday. Can't do much with my arm in a cast :12:
I did send Ernie a email asking him for help with a logo, interested to see what he comes up with ! Thanks for the post:happy:

Well, The one thing everybody get's when they didn't get what they wanted is ??????

Experience! Take it from a few of us with that "Experience"
Have a pro that is all set up do your makers mark!
Have a pro place like WSSI or K & G supply Stabilize your wood!
Buy your steel from a supply house that knows what they are selling!
Buy a quality grinder machine or built your own if, you know what you are doing?
And get variable speed or a step pulley setup!

These are a few of the tried & True lessons that us before you try to pass on! With mixed results:biggrin:

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Good advice....

Thanks guys, I emailed Ernie and see what we can get set up.

I'm sure Ernie can take care of it. We tend to over think our logos. I've designed my own for my knife brand, Store and others for people, The first time I hear one of those little voices on the inside!
Is usually what to go with!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I concur with the Ernie suggestions when it comes time to get the stencils. I might also add that my wife does graphic design and has done logos for a dozen or so companies and at least 2 knife makers. Ernie was able to use her designs without issue. PM me if you want her contact info, or check out her work at www.carafry.com.

So I got marks from Ernie, and I was hoping you guys could tell me about the Electrolyte solutions? I could buy them but I would rather make my own. Does anyone have any good home recipes for these?

I've used plain Table salt in a cap full of distilled water before with good results.
Some add Vinegar instead of water.

Test on a piece of steel finished the same as your blades.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I use 10 oz distilled water, 2 tablespoons of plain table salt, and a pinch of ferric sulfate. Warm it for 20 seconds in the microwave, cover and shake till well mixed. I keep it in a sealed 16 oz mason jar. Works prettywell for me. Ernie made my mark also. Great guy, great service, fast delivery. I design mine, he sized and enhanced it for the process. I got it in a couple of differents size all for the same great price. My friend spent over twice what i did to do it himself and he is still working on it. He should have listened to his wife and got it from Ernie.

I tried the distilled water and table salt and it doesn't seem to etch very deep and that leads to the black rubbing off?

I use 10 oz distilled water, 2 tablespoons of plain table salt, and a pinch of ferric sulfate. Warm it for 20 seconds in the microwave, cover and shake till well mixed. I keep it in a sealed 16 oz mason jar. Works prettywell for me. Ernie made my mark also. Great guy, great service, fast delivery. I design mine, he sized and enhanced it for the process. I got it in a couple of differents size all for the same great price. My friend spent over twice what i did to do it himself and he is still working on it. He should have listened to his wife and got it from Ernie.

TacticallySharp - Where do you get your ferric sulfate? What kind of etch do you get? Deep etch and dark mark?

Remember that AC and DC produces different effects. DC will cut into the metal and AC will mark it black. I've stopped using AC on carbon steel and have opted to fill the etch mark with a bluing agent and then re-sanding the blade remove any overflow marks. I like the results better than what I was getting from the AC current.

Remember that AC and DC produces different effects. DC will cut into the metal and AC will mark it black. I've stopped using AC on carbon steel and have opted to fill the etch mark with a bluing agent and then re-sanding the blade remove any overflow marks. I like the results better than what I was getting from the AC current.

I understand, but the etch is still not very deep, I think it is the electrolyte, which is why I am asking about the different recipes.

Etch it longer and double the amount of salt in the water. DC first, Remember that it will cup Deep. Then the AC for blacking in the cut. Add Apple or white Vinegar if that still doesn't work.

I ran out of the etch-chant and used the plain salt for about 30-40 knives till I ordered new stencils and got the etch-chant for convenience.

Also I have used that stuff 10 plus out of date with no noticeable difference! So I don't think that stuff really goes bad?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back