old 1095(start of my kith knife)

franklin

Well here is a start, some 1095 laying around yelling use me, so grabbed it and beat it like a red hot dog.
Just winging it how ever she comes out (style) is fine with me. well this is were she ended up what you all think?
Not sure what type handle yet? full,stick, through?

Attachments

• 100_3431.jpg
    100_3431.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 100_3432.jpg
    100_3432.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 74
By the way guys this is all i got for forging stuff with, so you guys that are not sure you should jump in
go for it!!!! its a weed burner forge and a upsidedown r&r track.

Attachments

• 100_3433.jpg
    100_3433.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_3434.jpg
    100_3434.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 53
Jonathan so you like the shape thats 1 for, was thinking of bringing the point way down and forward cuz didnt think anyone would like this style? Well maybe she stays anyone else? Thanks for the reply creason.

Beautiful forging !!

Prime example that many times talent is more important than tools !

FWIW I like the profile like it is. Quite a few historical bowies with a similar shape and something you just don't see everyday. I'd say go with it and see where it takes ya.

Old steel is like fine wine, just keeps getting better with age ;)

Looking good man- Josh

I like it. In appearance it is a modified butcher knife and that design is timeless. Good for just about anything....butchering, scalping, slicing beef or scarin' the hell outa chickens!

Oh, almost forgot. I still do forging on an old Harbor Freight 65 pound anvil. Soft, but gets the job done. I DO recommend finding a 150 to 200 pounder conventional anvil asap. It will save your hands, elbows and shoulders and allow you to work more effeciently. Uncle Al in McQueen AR is a good supplier. If what you have fits the bill, who is to say it isn't perfect?

Thanks guys for the input. Since one of you guys are going to get this knife i will ask full tang,hidden(antler) or surprise ya!!!
What you guys want i will try. Blade shape stays!!!! Cut it out josh im blushing wait thats the forge heat lol.
I forgot who wants a hamon yes or no?

Last edited:
Gaelic, that thing sucks for a anvil, you trying to be nice!!!!!!!!!! but it does way over 100# that im sure of, just vdont forge as much as i want to. and i need a big boy grinder one day lol

some draw filing,hand sanding. and this is were she stays for a little while.

Attachments

• 100_3435.jpg
    100_3435.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_3436.jpg
    100_3436.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 23
Archer Moon's description reminded me of a knife I made way back when. Curly Maple with 1/8" mild steel pins peened over copper washers. I really liked the copper and steel combo even though it was one of my earlier knives ;)

user392_pic881_1260161286.jpg

Looking real good. That thing's almost beggin for some Wrought Iron on it somewhere

-Josh

Creason are you talking plunge lines? Or the lines up top that go horizontal? Plunge lines are done with a file gide, the horizontal
lines i set up when forging the bevels i go back over that area with light hammer blows to try to set the line up for files later hope that helps.

Franklin,
Great start and fast too. Looks like your non plan is coming together very nicely. Wade

Last edited:
You can tell it's older steel cuz it's got a bit of belly to that blade. Looks great Franklin. I say full tang, but that's just my opinion. Let the steel tell you what it wants.

I mean the horizontal grind line between the flat and bevel. I've been really working on my hammer skills trying to set that area up better, but it's still eluding me.

Back