Spearpoint Damasteel Slipjoint w/ Stabilized Mammoth Ivory scales by John Perry

Buddy Thomason

This one is mine, from the recent AKA Show in Little Rock, AR. I've admired John Perry's knives since I met him at BLADE in 2003. I also love a nice simple gent's folder for all the time carry.

This knife features well-stabilized mammoth ivory scales with nice bark. I make a point of not buying ivory handled knives due to the extremely low humidity here in Denver. However I occasionally make exceptions for makers who understand this issue and go the extra mile to start with the right materials. stabilize the heck out of them, then pin the scales to the knife using a technique that provides relief for movement of natural materials.

The little Paul Long pouch flap sheath was one that Paul just had lying around in his briefcase at a knife show a while back. I told him I wanted it though I didn't have a use in mind at the time. Turns out it fits this knife beautifully. I carry the knife in its sheath daily in my left hip pocket. The blade is 2 1/2 inches and the handle is a bit over 3 inches. I was originally attracted to this knife by two details: the spearpoint blade which is a little different, and the extra long nail nick.

orig.jpg

Back