Camp Knife

SYD32

This is my first attempt at making a camp style knife. The blade is 5/32 CPM 154 that is hollow ground. The blade was heat treated by TX Knifemakers. The blade is 5 1/2 inches long and the handle is 5 inches. The bolsters are 416 stainless steel. I tried to "texture" the black linen micarta handles and stainless loveless style bolts. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome. I bead blasted the blade and handle to get the non-reflective finish. My plan is to make my first Kydex sheath for this knife. Monday I should be receiving all the supplies to do this from Midwest Knifemakers Supply.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 51
you sure did a good.... no GREAT job of getting the handle fit to that under cut bolster. Looks really good.

Ken H>

Here is the sheath. My first attempt at working with Kydex. I can see that this is going to take a while to turn out a decent sheath. Two of the of the many lessons I learned on this endeavor; 1, Kydex will create shiny spots on a bead blasted blade 2, should have used a large tek-lok.

thanks!

Attachments

• DSCN0036.jpg
    DSCN0036.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN0037.jpg
    DSCN0037.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 18
Something you may find will lessen those shiny spots will be to put a layer of duct tape (I use gorilla tape) on each side of the blade and trim off the excess. Do this before you heat and press your kydex. This will give you a bit more clearance between the kydex and the blade, and it won't rub nearly as bad.

Wait till you see what it does to your bolsters.
I recently made a leather sheath with a kydex insert for retention, unfortunately the bolsters were mirror polished...scrap that idea and back to the buffer.

Rudy

That's a very handsome and functional looking knife.
I would suggest that you round off those corners a bit in the handle scales. From the picture they look a bit sharp and will give hot spots in most peoples hands when doing some chopping or hacking after awhile that you do with a Camp knife.

The analogy that I was told when I started knife making was to think of how a dry worn bar of soap feels in your hand. No sharp edges on the scales.

Great work on the knife and the sheath.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Back