knife finish question

graveyard

i wish to make a tactical style knife with dull ore black finish if i use manganese phosphate well these blacken well i need anything else & dos it work on most carbon steels thank in advance

Manganese phosphate is one of the chemicals that is used to create a "parkerized" finish. It works on carbon steel but not on stainless. If you haven't done it before you might do some research on the process, I tried it once myself but ended up getting a gunsmith to parkerize my blades for me, he did a much better job that I was able to.

I have sandblasted 1095 using play sand as my media. I believe this will work on any Carbon steel. Then used Gun Bluing with great results ! I was given this advice when asking the same question back in November . Nice thing about gun bluing is that you can keep touching it up without any trouble:biggrin:

Black oxide is another good method. I got mine through Caswell and it works just fine. It is similar to bluing a knife in that it is a chemical reaction rather than a coating. It too is easy to touch up.
Curtis

Back