Steel type and chart for explaining the abilities.....

martinjj

Well I will run out files in the future so I was wondering what are some good steels for a newbe like me? I use a two brick forge and do my stock removal with files. I was also wondering if there is a chart explaining all the different types and purpose of the steel blanks? Also do you have to anneal store bought blanks to soften them up to start off like I do with a file?

Thanks,
Martin

Let me recommend that you stick with the simpler steels with that kind of equiptment for heat treating. That would be the 10XX series, with the exception of 1095, and the W series. The only reason that I exclude 1095 is that the exact alloy can vary and some have hardening problems. You could also toss in 5160 and 9260 and possibley L6. If you stick with steels with less than 75 points of carbon in them then you will not have to worry as much about soak time or exceeding upper critical temperature while austinizing the steel. With less than 75 points of carbon you only have to make sure that the steel is heated all the way through; you don't have to be concerned about disolving a bunch of carbides. Even something like 1080 or 1084 is not as big a worry because their carbides are primarily cementite which is the easiest to disolve because it's iron based.

Doug

Back