another etching question????

jono7183

etching.jpg

I just ordered this etch from Ernie, and would like to say I was very impressed with service,speed, and quality of stencil. I'm new to this so quick question. This was my first time trying this out, and i tried holding it for about 5-10 seconds, and it seemed really light. I then went about 20 seconds, and it seemed to etch a small line below my name as well.After i cleaned it off with solution, most of black mark came off, and this is what i got..Any ideas???

etcher is from electro tec, and stencils from ernie..I am ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that there is nothing wrong with stencils or machine, 'im quite certain this is user error, and me getting used to the whole etching. Any ideas or hints would be appreciated..thanks fuys, i learn alot on this site....

Oh, and after i've etched, am i suppose to just let the stencil and pad air dry before i use again?

Thanks guys, and to you Ernie!!!!

Oscar Cantu

It looks like you are running AC rather than DC. DC will give you a deep etch while the AC will pretty much just darken the metal.

Oscar,

I'm not familiar with electro tech machines. Does it have an AC and DC setting? You need to etch first on DC, then switch to AC.

I clean my stencils after every use by spraying windex through the stencil from both sides, then spraying water through from both sides. I then place them in a piece of folded paper towel to dry until I need them again. Edited to add: Keep the stencils away from light for long periods of time. Also, etch in short bursts. Too much heat shortens their life.

The black line under your name could be caused by not taping the stencil to the blade well enough. Perhaps you were actually trying to etch on the edge of your stencil.

I have used a few of Ernie's specialized stencils for a one shot custom name on a blade. They work quite well.

Robert

I think ive figured it out...Its starting to look much better after i really cleaned the blade..thnx all!!!!!

Back