Some good reading...

Drew Riley

I'm sure this has been posted before, but just in case it hasn't, or if there's some newer makers like myself who haven't seen it before, I recently was shown this link:

http://www.feine-klingen.de/PDFs/verhoeven.pdf

Metallurgy of Steel for Bladesmiths & Others
who Heat Treat and Forge Steel

I've only read a few pages and skipped down towards the bottom a couple times, but everything I've read seems very clearly written and explained, and very nicely illustrated.

Not trying to steal any thunder from our very own Kevin Cashen, but this seems like a good supplement... ;)
This professor also has a write up on knife sharpening that looks pretty good as well:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/downloads/pdf/knifeshexps.pdf

Experiments on Knife Sharpening

A better idea would be to purchase Steel Metallurgy for the Non-Metallurgist so that John Verhoeven can get paid for his work. I know that there is a dispute as to whether or not that PDF violates the ASM International's copyright for that book. Even it it does, they're not going to hunt down anyone who downloads it but I would not use it for any class presentations or quotes in other publications without clarifying it with ASMI. Yes, I also know that it is prefaced with a statement that it is free for public use. Just be aware that since the manuscript for the above book was sold to ASMI for publication that permission to use may be no longer of any value. From what I've seen those two publications, the PDF and the book, are very similar.

Doug

A better idea would be to purchase Steel Metallurgy for the Non-Metallurgist so that John Verhoeven can get paid for his work. I know that there is a dispute as to whether or not that PDF violates the ASM International's copyright for that book. Even it it does, they're not going to hunt down anyone who downloads it but I would not use it for any class presentations or quotes in other publications without clarifying it with ASMI. Yes, I also know that it is prefaced with a statement that it is free for public use. Just be aware that since the manuscript for the above book was sold to ASMI for publication that permission to use may be no longer of any value. From what I've seen those two publications, the PDF and the book, are very similar.

Doug

Well said sir!

Dam , awesome I have been beating myself up over an issue ive had with a knife and came to the conclusion it was a defect in the blade. So then just looking through here found this sharpening thread and way way to cool. Ive been only making knives for about 4 years and use a tormek I bought 3 years ago but through trial and error got onto the norax structured abrasive belts same as the 3m and then began making straight razors thus bought a wide variety of water stones and a few oil stones . Yes the japanese are the best and with the pictures this guy shows confirms everything ive been saying to people. I dissagreed with lots of people about having an expensive leather cordovan strop . I made several paddle and other strops all treated with diamond paste and crhromium oxide and the only thing that truely puts a scary sharp edge on is a pasted strop after progressing with the water stones up to 14k and with a good nagura that matches the stone well up to 20 k plus. I went through a learning curve on sharpening from trial and error mostly and bleeding from a poorly sharpened razor.I came back after reading the last couple posts I hope no laws are being broken kellyw

Last edited:
Back