How would I get a pic of my work in Blade mag?

Stew

I know, I know - it sounds quite a arrogant question!

I couldn't think of a simpler way to phrase it - sorry!

So last year, someone bought me a book. I can't remember the exact title, but somethign like 'Best of Blade mag'. I assumed i wouldn't find it too interesting from years back when I've flicked through knife books full of cheap tat.

It was a great read and had me glued. Some good articles, great pictures, great knives!

The thing that got me is just the gallery of maker's work in there.

I decided then that I would like to try and get a picture of one of my knives in the magazine at some point in 2012.

It's an aim and we all need them. :D

I don't have anything worthy right now but was curious on the process of how they put pics in the magazine.

Do I need to send pictures in? (That in itself seems quite an arrogant thing to do to me. A bit rude, almost.)
Is it frowned on to send pictures in?
Do I just have to hope they'll find a picture of a knife I make on a forum somewhere that they think is worth publishing?

I have been lucky enough to get a couple of pictures in there but it was not through my efforts. Or maybe so - I had Chuck Ward take some picture of my knives and as part of his service he sends the major publications the copy of the picture he had taken for me.
Without his outstanidn photography it would not be possible. I know his wife Mary is an important part of it too.
Seems like when we had the pictures taken it must have landed on top of the pile at Blade so it was picked.

Its not rude to promote yourself and your knives. You simply need to take outstandingly clear photos of your knives and send them to the magazines or send the knives to a photographer that submits them for you. Here in the States there are several knife only photographers that will do that as part of their everyday job. I only spend the money on the knives that are good enough and that profit enough to justify the photography. It costs about $150 plus shipping both directions so its hard to do that with every knife.
You can contact the magazines by email and simply ask them. They also are always looking for something fresh to do a story on. You're from England, that right there may be of big interest.

Blade magazines are always looking for something new and or interesting to publish. Its in their self interest. They expect you to promote your work, if you don't do it who will?

Good luck hope you get published, Fred

Thanks chaps. :)

I know photographs are something to work on as well as the knives themselves. Better camera work and lighting is another of my aims this year so it's handy they all work together. (I can't afford to send them off for pics!)

You can call or email Steve Shackleford. Send a good photo and your Bio in for knifemaker showcase.

Yes this helps allot. You will need a mug shot of yourself and a decent picture of your best knife. Give a brief Biography too. Look in some old Blade issues for examples of what to say.
You can call or email Steve Shackleford. Send a good photo and your Bio in for knifemaker showcase.

Back