Gaelic Forge stuff

gaelic forge

Someone over on the Intro page wanted to see some pics of knives I have made. Now, keep in mind that I make practical knives, not art knives. Mine are made to be used and abused by the local men and women in butchering hogs, cattle, deer, etc as well as used on an occasional Elk hunting trip or two. Further, I try and use whatever woods are available locally regardless if you see micarta and wood laminates here or not. I am currently pressing ahead with persimmon as a knife handle, a wood that has been used in the past for golf club heads and finishes very well. Haven't heard of anyone else using it, so I may be the lone stranger utilizing this very hard hardwood. Right now, other than a few blades forged from spring steel, all of my blades are repurposed L-6 round sawblade steel cut via a Smith 00 or 01 tip. Very good steel, but getting harder to find with each passing day.

I keep a collection of pics on Photobucket and will attempt to attach IMG files to this wee message. I'm a rookie to this particular software on the Dogs forum so be patient. May take more than one attempt.

100_0538400x300.jpg

100_0558400x300.jpg

100_0694350x263.jpg

100_0533400x300.jpg

The third blade down from the top is what I call a "claxe." It is something I dreamed up in response to hunters wanting a blade to cut ribcages and pelvic joints on elk and deer. It also will slice up some kindling wood as well. Very thick profile grind as this is not used to slice tomatoes! Wife holding wee drop edge blade in her hand. You may see some small pitting from the sawmill blade showing through. Just as a side comment, the drop edge design very closely resembles stone knives I dug up on archaeological sites for almost twenty years. Coincidently, these drop edge blades are much easier to sharpen and the entire edge can be used, unlike many drop edged blades. Just my ten cents worth.

Here is pic of belt buckle. It began its life as 1/2 round stock which I squared and tapered, then twisted into shape free hand. With only one to do it made no sense to make a scrolling jig particular to this design. Having said that......I won't do anything like this without making a scrolling board with movable pins! It must have taken a dozen heats to make this thing as well as two broken drill bits making the buckle latch cross piece, which is peened in place.

100_0798640x480.jpg

Nice, how did you get started making your own knives? I noticed Laurence makes his own too.. this is something that interests me as much as guns do lol.

Thanks for the compliments, but the grind lines are hampered by being on the learning curve and using a Grizzly grinder. Working to build the NWG at this time and believe it will help my work. Have several new blades in the works including smaller butcher knife (think Nessmuk), neck knives and boot knife.

I see there are a few here who are using the flat disc grinders. I have never felt a need for one of these. Can someone tell me why it would be a good idea to have one? All I have ever used is belt sanders, forging, files and hand sanding. Maybe I am missing a good tool?

I really like the "Old School" Butcher's knife at the top, Makes me want to pick it up and go butcher somthing? LOL
Really!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

The knife bug bit me many years ago, but I did not come down with a full infection until I was working as an archaeologist and had the opportunity to study a great many stone tools. Stone knife designs influence my work considerably and I make a point of studying historic steel blades as well. I like "going my own way" as much as possible and feel there is still much room for innovation in this craft. And, of course, knife design reflects history and the needs of the times. Compared to the Europeans we have barely just begun our walk down this path and we are merely babies to other cultures that have been making blades for over two thousand years. To be sure, all of us stand on their shoulders to a great extent.

The knife bug bit me many years ago, but I did not come down with a full infection until I was working as an archaeologist and had the opportunity to study a great many stone tools. Stone knife designs influence my work considerably and I make a point of studying historic steel blades as well. I like "going my own way" as much as possible and feel there is still much room for innovation in this craft. And, of course, knife design reflects history and the needs of the times. Compared to the Europeans we have barely just begun our walk down this path and we are merely babies to other cultures that have been making blades for over two thousand years. To be sure, all of us stand on their shoulders to a great extent.

Gaelic,
One of the many cool part's of our country is we have people from all over the world here and we have a collective of that knowledge and different cultures. From east or west, North or south.

I don't hear a different drummer! I make my own rhythm in life as much that is possible.

Many of us knife Dog type people tend to be that way.

The journey continues!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Back