Something different from me,VERY different!

John M Cohea

A few months ago I had a fellow that is in the US Coast Guard contact me about building him a boat knife that he could use on the deck of a cutter boat on the Hudson River in New York. He gave me a materials request list, size, and price point,and requested that the sheath be black rawhide and right to left crossdraw, the rest he left up to me. This is what I came up with.
The knife is 7 1/4 "OAL of full tang stainless raindrop damascus forged by Chad Nichols. The scales are black linen micarta that has been textured in a waffle pattern. Michael Burch showed and assisted me in doing this(actually he did most of it:D). The scales are lined with red fiber, and have nickle silver pins, stainless thong tube, and a mosaic pin. The lanyard is black paracord and a pewter skull bead. Just for the hell of it I put a little black deerskin fringe with another skull bead at the tip of the sheath. Thanks for looking2thumbs!
DSC03044.jpg

DSC03046.jpg

DSC03053.jpg

DSC03047.jpg

DSC03049.jpg

That's definitely not what I've come to expect from you but I have to say you pulled it off well. It has a very new look to it but by looking at it you can still easily tell it's your work. Nicely done.

I think sometimes it's very difficult to try something new, out of your normal style, and make it look right. Doing that and still making it obviously yours is very cool indeed.

SDS

Nice work! It has some very subtle nuances that make it both unique and useful.

Milt

A bit of a shock...and then you see the sheath :)
Nicely done again!

Great knife and sheath combo. But how about giving away a few secrets on how to texture the micarta that way.

Thanks everyone! The customer for this one was very pleased2thumbsAs far as the micarta texturing, Michael's technique is pretty simple. He said he uses a 3/8's ball mill, but this was done with a 1/4", since that's all we had at the time.Glue the scales down on a flat plate and clamp down on the mill table, figure out the depth you want, then start milling across the face of the scale, moving over one full rotation after each cut until you reach the end. The you will swap axis and do the same thing lengthways on the scales.

Back