Grinder rust prevention

BD Blades

I have a KMG grinder and it has a lot of exposed bare metal on it. Here im MS is it pretty humid and I am always fighting off rust. I usually wipe it down with some sort of oil/rust preventative when done. (trurecoil,CLP,triflow)

What do some of you other guys use for this?

In my experience, Boeshiled is by far the best protection. I use it on all of cast iron tools and tables, I clean them with a solvent, spray boeshield, let it get tacky, wipe off, finish with Renwax. I do this once a year.

I have always done the same thing that Mike does.

Some of the waxes have silicone in them, so I try not to use those on surfaces that will come in contact with materials that will be finished.
But that is of no concern for your grinder.

The T-9 Boeshield is great stuff. Seems like just about any wax placed over it will go a long way towards warding off rust.
Try not to get too wrapped up in which wax you use, unless you're faced with the situation I described above (e.g., table saw and jointer tables, etc.).
Johnson's paste wax, Renwax, I've even used the various "automotive" waxes to great effect.
I don't know if it's the Boeshield, the wax, or the combination of the two that provides the protection; all I know is that it works well.

Short of powdercoating or painting, whatever method you use will require reapplication on a periodic basis.

Thanks for the tip. I think I can pick some of this up at my local Sears store. As for painting, I contacted the folks at Beaumont and they did not recommend paiting the KMG grinder. They did really say why, just didn't recommend it. Not knocking them, they are nice folks and make a great machine.

Thanks for the tip. I think I can pick some of this up at my local Sears store. As for painting, I contacted the folks at Beaumont and they did not recommend paiting the KMG grinder. They did really say why, just didn't recommend it. Not knocking them, they are nice folks and make a great machine.

Maybe they have had people that got over spray into the wheels and had problems?

I agree that any wax is better that none.

The best wax for the money I've found is Burch Casey "Rifle & Gun wax" About half or a third of Ren, Wax.
Everything get's a bright shine and pop's right out on my knives at shows and it helps alot with the finger print problem when customers fondle your knives.

I also use it on some of my tools since I live and have my store all within 4 blocks of the ocean.

I haven't put it on my KMG grinder, But that's next!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

www.westsidesharpening.com/

I have a KMG grinder and it has a lot of exposed bare metal on it. Here im MS is it pretty humid and I am always fighting off rust. I usually wipe it down with some sort of oil/rust preventative when done. (trurecoil,CLP,triflow)

What do some of you other guys use for this?

I like eezox.......in my shop its like Franks Red Hot. Goes on everything.

Back