Finally got around to finishing another knife

RickA

Hi Fellow KnifeDogs

After my first attempt , I spent a few months building a KMG grinder to make things easier. After finishing the grinder, I did cut out a few blades and tried some hollow grinding, however other projects - making grinder attachments, taking time to design my workshop space and then the time to build it up (still not 100% complete) etc, not to mention my day job, which got very busy last year with lots of business travel and time away from home, all prevented me from even spending time in the workshop, let alone completing any knives (with the exception of one lone folder kit).

Luckily I finally got to spend some time in the workshop towards the end of last year, and managed to finish two of them, with sheathes, and almost finish a third - a kitchen knife project which I was supposed to finish for a knife club competition in November, unfortunately business & travel interfered again, and the project was put on hold till late January this year (I have yet to grind the blade edge - already hardened O1) I am busy making a Jig to attempt to ensure a clean grind - I would hate all the work on the bolsters / handle to go to waste.

So these are my second, third and fourth knives, and my first attempts at hollow grinding.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to take any photos to upload until this past week, I'm also happy to say I sold my first Knife - the one below with African Blackwood handle scales & filework

Small Skinner / Caping Knife: (N690 steel / Red Liners / Wild Olive scales) [120mm overall length)]
CapingKnife (5 of 5).jpgCapingKnife (1 of 5)a.jpgCapingKnife (2 of 5).jpgCapingKnife (3 of 5).jpg

Medium Hunter / Skinning Knife: (N690 steel / African Blackwood scales) [165mm overall length]
HuntingKnife (1 of 8).jpgHuntingKnife (2 of 8).jpgHuntingKnife (4 of 8).jpgHuntingKnife (6 of 8).jpg

Japanese Kitchen Knife (O1 Steel / Copper Bolsters (Hidden Stainless Pins) / African Blackwood Scales) [310mm overall length] - Blade still to be ground- Japanese single sided grind
KitchenKnife (4 of 5).jpgKitchenKnife (5 of 5).jpg

Last edited:
Very nice, I really like the Blackwood pair. Great style. I think as long as the owner keeps it cleaned and a bit polished it'll look great with the eventual patina.

Hi Guys

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate that you took the time to comment.
It's nice to hear what others think - Good or Bad, its a good way to find out what to change or how to improve.

Remy - I'm not so sure about a Patina, I much prefer the look of the copper as shown above (bright and shiny) so I'm looking for some way to protect the copper to prevent the need for constant polishing. I have thought about some sort of Wax coating, or possibly "fluid film"

Last edited:
Back