File Guide

BD Blades

Just ordered a file guide from USA KnifeMaker. I am really hoping it will help me make my guards fit perfectly like the ones I saw at the Arkansas knife show. I have really been fighting getting those darn things to fit just right. The last one had just a tiny little line, but it wasn't perfect. The makers that looked at my bldes advised I get one, and I am taking their advice.

Has anyone used one of these guides from them and how do you like it.

Thanks

I just made one of A2. I still have to get it hardened with the next batch of blades, but I am doing it for the same reasons as you. I hope it helps my guards too.

Attachments

• IMAG0041.jpg
    IMAG0041.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 40
That looks great. I thought about trying to make one myself but didn't know if I had everything I needed to pull it off. I am a big fan of making your own tools when possible. However I am glad to throw the fine folks at USA KnifeMaker a little bone. Beside that I have this knife sold (fist sale) if it turns out to my satisfaction. (my satisfaction is higher than the person buying it)

Search these sites for threads on fitting guards. File guides are indespensable for getting things filed and ground straight but there are other techniques to help get a tight fit.

Doug

I've got one of these but honestly not impressed with it.

I didn't go with the Magnum version I went with the regular but It flexes quite abit when tightened down. The allignment pins aren't tight enough in their respective holes so there is a tiny bit of slop allowable which CAN cause a very slight mis-allignment between the two halves. I admit it's a very small amount but it's enough that you can easily end up with a "shadow" on one side. Taking care when tightening helps a little. Sometimes I'll put it off and on a couple times to hit the sweet spot.

I started with a homemade jobbie with no allignment pins but upgraded to this and plan to upgrade yet again to a carbide faced guide from Riverside or from Bruce Bumps adventure (if they get it back up and running).

Good luck with your guide !

-Josh

Thanks Josh

I am going to upgrade to the magnum. As big a fight as it is to get a guard fitted up for me, I am not going to let $9-10 stand in the way. I am a broke begining knfemaker, but I want to build the best I can. If I could only afford a mill...

To Qutoe Chad Nichols " I am alway one piece of equipment away from total happiness "

Magnum file guide arrived yesterday. It has no flex, and seems like a very nice piece. The alignment pins seem to fit well, not a forced fir but reasonably tight. If there was any variance I would say it is in the .00XX" area. I have not used it but did fit it up on a blade it will be used on this weekend, seem like it should work. I will let you know, I might even get really inspired and post a picture. I'm gonna be pretty fired up when I get a guard to fit like I want.

I tried to make my own file guide, Not worth the time I wasted on it!!! I will be ordering one soon to!

Martin

I used the magnum file guide today. Really nice, everything came out nice and square. Now if I only had a swivel vice. Hopefully I can get the hole in the guard nice and square and we will be in business.

Back