Ealy damascus fancy pants

Rudy Joly

I won a bar of Del's O-1/l-6 damascus a while back and this fancy pants hunter was hiding inside it. I totally ruined a pair of bone micarta scales so went for the ivory micarta instead, which I'll probably never use again....you can't keep the stuff clean. Knife is 8-1/2" total, 4-3/8" blade, 3/16" at the ricasso. Hollow ground on a 12" wheel, tapered tang and SS fittings. I added a accent halo around the pins, red spacers, light etch and cold blued blade burnished with OOO steel wool. I didn't notice until the download that once again there's wax all over the thing....ignore it please. A sheath and sharp edge next.

2012_0224NewKnife0021.jpg2012_0224NewKnife0025.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Rudy

Rudy, That looks great man, Classic lines and very well executed!

I used ivory paper ONCE.. I used some very colorful words that day! Like !@&&, $&@(&, #&^, #))##, &$^#* among other things I said when working with it!

Thanks Randy,
yup , I cleaned those scales so much with acetone, I figured they'd dissolve sooner or later. They confirmed my love for lumber.

Thanks,
Rudy

Good looking knife. you have to treat it just like Ivory and use clean belts while grinding and mask them off asap.

Thanks for the kind comments guys.
Clean belts is right...I used a brand new belt for every operation on the handle. The higher grits would stain the micarta after just a couple passes over the pins or bolsters. Live and learn.

Thanks,
Rudy

Rudy,
How did you do the "halo" around the pins? I've never seen that before, pretty cool touch of color! Sweet blade, that one screams, "Use me!!!" Rex

Rex,
I used an end mill the next size up from the bolt diameter. In hind sight I'd use one a little smaller, I was shooting for a thinner halo the same size as the liners .
Luckily the queen is an "artist" with (I ain't kidding) hundreds of paint tubes laying around. I rummaged around untill i found a color close to the liners (thanks Tracy). A few minutes of mix and match in my epoxy and the colors matched real close. After fitting every thing together, I filled the halos with the tip of a pin. I mixed the epoxy 'hot' so it set quickly and stayed in place on both sides. I had to turn it quickly for a couple minutes till it gelled. You could do one side at a time but take the chance of not getting the color right.

Thanks,
Rudy

Rex,
I used an end mill the next size up from the bolt diameter. In hind sight I'd use one a little smaller, I was shooting for a thinner halo the same size as the liners .
Luckily the queen is an "artist" with (I ain't kidding) hundreds of paint tubes laying around. I rummaged around untill i found a color close to the liners (thanks Tracy). A few minutes of mix and match in my epoxy and the colors matched real close. After fitting every thing together, I filled the halos with the tip of a pin. I mixed the epoxy 'hot' so it set quickly and stayed in place on both sides. I had to turn it quickly for a couple minutes till it gelled. You could do one side at a time but take the chance of not getting the color right.Thanks,
Rudy

Well of course it would be a lot more complicated than a red tube outside the pins!! You definitley made it look nice, but right now the new skills I'm working on are wire inlay and engraving....self taught! Well, through books and videos and forums, the inlay is from a video I picked up at Batsons 2 years ago, watched it once and forgot I had it, found it in the move! So I watched it again, went digging around the shop and found all the inletting tools I had made or started making so I finished them up and started practicing. It's not as easy as it looks!!! The engraving, I'm still in the planning stages, figuring out which books, tools, etc. it's a deep subject and some of the work I've seen since I've been looking is so amazing! Seriously unbelievable work out there that isn't being seen by the main stream folks that really should see it, some I've seen really needs to be appreciated more than it is.

I'll file this one away for one day when I need a touch of color, of course if you'd used wood the only colors you'd needed would have been brown and black! I keep those 2 in acrylic on hand for adding to my epoxy, makes the seams look seamless! Thanks for the tips Rudy, Rex

Back