Military Fighter Knife Complete

Drew Riley

Hey guys,
Figured this was as appropriate of a place as any to post this. Just finished a "military" style fighter of my own design, except for a tek lok for the sheath, which is currently in the mail. Interestingly enough, this would have been my design submission for the hometown hero build if not for the size limitations set forth in the beginning.

Specs:
11" OAL (5.5" from tip of pommel to tip of scales/5.5" from scales to blade point)
Made from 5/32" x 2" 1095 high carbon steel
Scales are canvas green micarta with 5/16 brass corbies and a 1/4 lanyard tube
Sheath is made from Boss's "Boltaron" (spelling?); btw, I was very impressed and pleased with how this stuff formed/worked.

I included a "spanish notch" in the ricasso, though it is more for asthetics than anything. My thoughts on the green micarta/brass hardware was to pay tribute to military dress.

Overall, the knife came out much better than I could have expected. It's very ergonomic and balanced, and for a somewhat large knife, it really doesn't feel too heavy at all. the edge is relatively thin, so it makes a phenomenal slicer. I also dropped the blade from the handle slightly, in order to provide a more ergonomic angle for draw cutting. Lastly, there's some jimping on back with a slight thumb ramp for a more secure grip while thrusting/stabbing. Oh, and let's not forget the skull crusher/glass breaker at the bottom. Not to sharp or aggressive... just enough to make ya squirm... ;)

6776063576_fc3faec0af_z.jpg

6922176527_47d5b93c24_z.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Always nice to see this thread bumped back to the new posts page. Feedback is always appreciated. I've actually got three more blanks heat treated to make a few more of these, so hopefully they show up in the for sale forums in the near future.

Awesome work man, the spanish notch is too cool, I love to see that little tribute to tradition, very nice touch. The skull crusher is a must on a mil-tac blade, imo.

-sd

Back