Butcher Knife with Beaded Sheath

Church & Son

"I contacted a company in Sheffield England that has been in the knife business since 1700. I was trying to obtain information about knives that would have been available in 1803 and perhaps used by the Lewis & Clark expedition. The company told me that the majority of their utility cutlery was going to North America and Africa all through the 1700 & 1800s. Their records show a common butcher knife just like those used today."(Gene Hickman)

This butcher doesn’t have that romantic of a story, it came from a yard sale. The handle had been filed to more of a ball end and the front of the handle was splintered pretty bad. But it reminded me of the Plains Indians photos I’ve seen from the mid to late 1800′s where the blade has been sharpened to more of a recurve.
So it needed saving…and it needed a beaded sheath.

I cut away the splintered part and poured a pewter bolster, then wrapped rawhide around the handle. No name or mark on it and it had iron pins instead of brass.
It’s a big one, 15″ overall.

butch1.jpg
butch2.jpg
butch3.jpg

The sheath I have hours and hours in. All enjoyable. Something to do at night. It has a horsehide liner and brain tanned cover. It is the first one I've done with a beaded hanger, apparently the Indians didn't mind their knife bouncing around. The beads are #8 and #10 and the pattern taken from a bunch of photos, no specific sheath. I hand rolled the tin tinklers and the horse hair is from my lovely bride’s paint mare.
I hate winter but I love these wintertime projects…

Last edited:
Randy,
The knife is cool and so is the history. The sheath is a great big WOW!!!! The beading looks fantastic. If I had just one of those beads setting in front of me there is no way I would be able to see it, kudos for you. Wade

Ya done good. Quite the rig Randy. I agree, the beadwork is top notch. I hope you washed the beads after smuggling them outta Arizona:biggrin:

Thank you Gents, one and all.

Troy, these beads came from an auction in Atlanta, I'm saving the smuggled ones for the NEO-KITH...funny smell and all.

Wade, 2x reading glasses(standard on old dudes) make those tiny holes workable, just don't stand up with them on...

Thanks Mate Chris, always a pleasure

Thanks Keith, it'll make you crazier counting beads...

Thanks Gaelic, looking forward to some of your stuff. Retired archaeologist? Gotta have a lot of good stories....

Back